Analyzing a poem with Formative?

Hi, everyone!

I’m new to Formative, and I would love some feedback. I teach 10th grade English to mixed classes of special and general education students, many of whom are reluctant readers and writers. I started using Formative because my students are much more enthusiastic about their work if they get to use technology; I try to integrate multimedia and other intriguing stuff whenever possible.

We are working through a unit on rhetorical strategies and literary devices. Here’s a Formative I made to help my kids practice their close reading skills. What do you think? I watched @Lisa_Scumpieru 's presentation on making Formatives with style and @david’s presentation on app-smashing before I made this, and found them both helpful. But is this Formative too long and confusing? How can I improve the way I teach and present this poem?

[Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening Formative]( link https://goformative.com/clone/QNEQOG)

Thanks!

Claire

3 Likes

Hello @csewimbush! Great to have another 10th grade English teacher here! I really love your formative. I think it’s taking them deeper as they go. From what I see, you have at least three days of work here if you want the kids to delve deeper. However, I’m thinking that if you would split the Formative into three separate formatives, you would not overwhelm the students the first day. I’m thinking this:

Day one: Have them do questions 1-7 with what you have around the questions. I love the scaffolding of questions.
Day two: 8-11with some sort of question added for the brain break.
Day three: Bringing it all together with question 12 and then a sharing of each other’s stories.

I hope that you are okay with me helping a bit, but I know my students like things to be chunked. I was thinking of doing a webinar showing how I chunked the text “Antigone” to make it accessible for all students. Have a great day.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, Lisa! That’s exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I will certainly break up the Formative–you are right about it being overwhelming. I like your breaks; those seem natural.

Do you think I need to scaffold question 12 more? I was thinking about how to help the kids internalize what we’re doing. Any other ideas about how to do that?

I would love to see how you chunk Antigone! If you do that webinar, I will watch.

Claire

3 Likes

I think #12 is good as it is. Your personal example will help them greatly. I’m finishing “Antigone” this week and may think of doing a webinar after Christmas break. Have a great day.

1 Like

@csewimbush I love your formative too! It’s really awesome that you start with questions that help them start to form a personal connection with the poem before actually reading it. @Lisa_Scumpieru does something similar with blind formatives and engaging students in reading before actually reading! Likewise, it’s great how you are giving them time to process the poem before diving into rhetorical strategies and literary devices.

I think I am seeing your chunked version with only Q#1-7! I’d love to see the other ones whenever you have time to post them :slight_smile: Also, I am glad that watching my webinar was helpful!

It’s so great to see that our @ELA_Educators group is growing and connecting!

2 Likes

Thanks, @david and @Lisa_Scumpieru! Here are all three parts of the exercise, David, revised and chunked as Lisa suggested. You can see that I’m experimenting with Today’smeet; I hadn’t heard of it before your appsmashing webinar.

Stopping by Woods Part 1
Stopping by Woods Part 2
Stopping By Woods Part 3

Have an exquisite Monday!

Claire

4 Likes

This is great. I love how it’s broken up and how you are challenging students but also giving them safeguards as well. Have an exquisite Monday as well! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for your excellent advice :smile:

3 Likes

These formatives really make me want to be in your class Claire! I really like how you give students the opportunity to connect the poem to music as well as something from their own lives.

I also really like your use of Today’s Meet to get students brainstorming! Are you Twitter, I want to give you a shout-out over there and tag you in the tweet!

2 Likes

Hi, DAvid! Thanks. I have no Twitter account, but you are welcome to use the Formatives!

2 Likes

Awesome! I’m excited to give you a shout-out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing this @csewimbush!! :grin: I absolutely love how you used todaysmeet.com to have the students create a discussion board of sorts. I will definitely be sharing your links with ELA teachers looking for innovative ideas…these formatives are awesome! I also gave you a shout out today on Facebook. I want to make sure teachers see your post and your formatives!

Thank you again Claire! You Rock :metal:t3:

Nicole

1 Like

Thanks, Nicole! You are kind!

2 Likes

@csewimbush…I can’t seem to get my todaysmeet discussion to embed. How did you generate your embed code?

Nicole

1 Like

@nicole: It is a bit tricky. Here is a tutorial to help: http://ior.ad/q1V. Have a great holiday.

2 Likes

Thanks so much @Lisa_Scumpieru…that was super helpful!!! You have a great holiday too :grin:

3 Likes