Appsmashing With Formative!

When formative first camemout, that’s what I did. My first formatives has a video and then questions based on it. With tools like EdPuzzle, you can embed the ?’s in the edpuzzle and then have students progress through an activity in the formative.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing how you do this in your class. I was thinking that students were solely supporting each other within their own groups and it’s awesome to hear that you’ve structured it so that they can learn from other groups as well. What I find especially powerful about the way you are conducting this activity is that you’ve not only found a way for students to support one another with reading comprehension, but with the act of reading itself. I now recognize why this is called reciprocal teaching as students are taking on roles that the teacher normally does and actively teaching one another.

I also really like your idea of implementing Vocaroo as I definitely remember having students who could benefit from reading and listening at their own pace! It sounds like a great way to extend the activity in a meaningful way. I wonder if it would be a good idea to have students creating the recording themselves so students can listen to their peers on their own time!

3 Likes

Look forward to learning more…

2 Likes

David,
I really like Today Meet app and I can immediately use this app in Math, Science and ELA.

2 Likes

I am glad to hear that Lance! @Lisa_Scumpieru made a formative for ELA with Today’s Meet embedded. Check it out: Using One of David’s App Smashing Ideas

1 Like

We’ve got a lot of great learning sessions coming up! @ndyer is leading one this week for science! Virtual Learning Session: A Couple Cool Ways To Use Formative for Teaching Science (Wednesday)

1 Like

This is great! Thank you for sharing. I love appsmashing and it’s great that Formative allows you to do that!
I’ve embedded phET simulations before, but not these other apps! Awesome!

2 Likes

I am so happy you enjoyed the webinar Natalie! phET is an awesome tool to embed! Have you seen @JoeMarquez70 's labs where he embeds them? Here’s one: SCIENCE! A CER Lab

1 Like

:thinking: I hadn’t heard of SpeakPipe prior to the virtual learning session. However, this seems like a very useful tool which also can be an added accomendation for those who need it. :hugs: love it!

1 Like

Thanks Jacqueline! Yeah, it’s one of my favorite tools to use as well! I used to be a special educator and I can imagine this paired with Formative being a great support in meeting some of my students’ specific needs!

By the way, welcome to the community :slight_smile: If you haven’t seen it yet, @Lisa_Scumpieru led an awesome #webinar with great examples of scaffolding learning activities in her ELA classroom. If you are interested, you can check it out here and click on the Youtube link in the post: Virtual Learning Session Coming Up Next Friday!

1 Like

Love app smashing and think this is so exciting for my students to be able to do!

1 Like

Glad to hear it Lisa!

Great session! I always love hearing about new tools! Speakpipe is a new one for me!

1 Like

This was really great!!! Love the ideas of how to use it in the classroom as well as the tutorial of how to do it!!! Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks @jhuff ! I am glad to hear you enjoyed it :slight_smile: Yes! Speakpipe is one of my favorite tools to embed into Formative…if you couldn’t tell :wink:

2 Likes

AppSmashing is very reflexive. It can be used to create some amazing lessons! I can insert astronomy interactive simulations and more for students!

1 Like

@david.lockett Great to see a fellow #formativechat friend here! I totally agree that agree that appsmashing can be a very powerful strategy! I’d love to hear what site you are using to draw your interactive simulations from!

This is awesome! I love it when a couple of my favorite tools work so well together. Now I can use my “Flipgrid Fever” with my “GoFormative Addiction.” Thank you for sharing.

5 Likes

Wow!!! very usefull information. Will certainly try Speakpipe to assist my ELL’s and those with oral testing accomodations. Great Session.

1 Like

I love this idea of app smashing flipgrid and formative especially if it can be implemented in a different language. Just need to work on a topic to launch :rocket:. Awesome :clap:

2 Likes