Assessing Reading Comprehension?

Morning! I was wondering how people are using Formative to assess reading comprehension. In the past, I’ve asked my students to respond to short answer questions. Any other ideas out there?

8 Likes

I actually used it in a hybrid way. The reading texts were given as hard copy, because students felt more comfortable with reading on the paper.

We’ve prepared the quiz on GoFormative and students had the chance to get immediate feedback after they read and answer the questions.

9 Likes

It’s great that you give students that flexibility with how they read. Do you use the instant written feedback feature? If so, how do you make it effective? I’ve found it tricky to give students feedback without leading them towards an answer.

3 Likes

Hi Katie,

I often use Formative as a “first read” activity. I put the text in formative and embed questions every few paragraphs. I want students to stop reading and see if they can answer the question when the text is still right there. I make the first few questions multiple choice and very easy. This lets me see right away if a student is struggling with the text (or not really reading) because I know those first 2-3 questions are really simple to answer. Anyone getting the wrong answer on questions 1-3 needs immediate intervention from me. Later in the text I raise the complexity of the questions and also add in short answer responses. I hope my strategy is useful to you.

12 Likes

I chunk the reading so that they read some and then they answer the questions and reflect before moving on.

5 Likes

Thanks for the strategy Jen :clap: I haven’t been scaffolding my questions and I will definitely give it a try. Sometimes it’s hard to gauge how complex their misconceptions are. Your strategy will help me unravel that so I am able to give better feedback.

200w_d

3 Likes

For Reading Comprehension we used a hard copy so the student can practice the Reading Strategies. Put the questions on Formative, using both short answer and multiple choice. Check their responses while they are working.

3 Likes

I find it is worth adding in a few metacognitive/reflection questions as well (worth 0 points) - as simple as “How did you get/figure out/decide on/work out your answer?”. This will help you identify which strategies students are using, and which ones they are not remembering to use.

9 Likes

I forgot to mention I also use Kami app so the student can use highlighing, underlining and many other tools to show their Reading Strategies.

5 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion Lance. I like the idea of providing students with a hard copy for reading strategies!

Oh and I checked out Kami and it looks like a great tool! I hope we see more annotation tools added to Formative so we can see student annotations live :smile:

1 Like

I hadn’t thought of asking these kinds of questions before, but can see how actionable the data could be. It also seems like a great way to give students more ownership over there learning. I might actually try showing these responses to my students and have them show the ways they are using the strategies! Peer teaching for the win!

3 Likes

It is. When I was watching the live results for that particular group, I noticed that once they hit the metacognitive question, they often went back and changed their answer to the comprehension question (and improved their scores)! By asking students to explain their process, not just accept it, they become more critical of their approach - which can only be a good thing!

5 Likes

I teach Spanish, but have a big focus on literacy. I often assess interpretive communication aka reading comprehension. This is an awesome strategy! Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

@Stephanie_Hidalgo I got a sneak peek of @Lisa_Scumpieru 's virtual learning session and she’s got an awesome infographic for scaffolding reading activities! You can tune in if you are free or watch it later :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am actually going to try and use this with my ESL students as well…Especially with the audio option available, this is something that may be very helpful for them.

5 Likes

Hey Lisa! Which strategy are you going to try? :grinning:

2 Likes

I have found that my students enjoy and get a lot out of Task Cards that I upload to GoFormative. Short/Quick readings with 1-5 short answer or multiple choice questions can give me a great snapshot of their comprehension.

3 Likes

Hey Jen,
We gave you a shoutout on Twitter for sharing this awesome strategy!

2 Likes

We use formative for most of our reading assessments. We include the passage on our formatives. When we want them to underline or highlight specific information or proof, we add it in the “show your work” option.

1 Like

A great way that you can assess reading comprehension past the short answer questions would be to use the new “categorize” tool. You could have them put the story in order! I also ask my students (2nd grade) questions that go along with story elements (setting, characters, etc).

3 Likes