Besides modeling :) How can we teach students to ask great questions? How does this support a great learning environment?

This is such an easy and powerful idea to implement! Thank you for sharing it!

I also love this idea as well! I can see it being a great opportunity for students to be creative, think of different possible questions to ask, and learn from what their peers are wondering! The graphic component could be applied to a variety of subject areas where students pose investigative questions about how a mistake was made (based on a sample of student thinking), a historical art piece, or simply a visual scenario (great for practicing language).

I love these ideas! I could see them all being aligned in one lesson where a student starts with a “what” question, which leads to a “how”, “why” and eventually posing their own “what if” scenario. The students could make choices in terms of the specific questions they ask within that framework and create a mind map throughout the process to document their learning!

1 Like

I would use the Question Formulation Technique - it is a method that when used right has always produced student questions. Asking questions is one of the science practices in NGSS

Check out the right question institute
Here is a clone of a formative I have made using a phenomenon to direct the generation of student questions using the Question Formulation Technique

4 Likes

I like the redirect and how you make explain the process to you. Good example of stems. Thanks

2 Likes

:thinking: I like the flow of the questions. Thanks for helping me plan for my upcoming school year :laughing: I like the fact that mind mapping would be a process instead of doing it all at one time. This way students can go back and pull info from previous ideas.

1 Like

I love a good thinking/question stem to practice and practice and practice. These also go great with student writing too! Then there is nothing more rewarding than when students start to do it all on their own! Takes lots of praise, practice and support, but I love when it catches like a wildfire in their thinking!

1 Like

Giving thinking time really helps students to develop great questions. For example, using the visible thinking routine ‘See, think, wonder’- with a visual stimulus and providing students with up to 5 min to first write down observations, then inferences and then generate thoughtful questions is a great way to get students thinking deeply and asking fantastic questions.

Also, getting students to generate a number of questions on post-it notes and then posting all questions up on a whiteboard and categorising the questions as a class can lead to really interesting questions and discussions.

2 Likes

Thanks again for joining our orientation today, @jdunn ! I love these two ideas that you share! Here’s some awesome examples of I See…I Think…I Wonder… formatives that @niko created! He has other awesome formatives in that thread which support visible thinking routines:

2 Likes

Great! Thanks! I will definitely look at those - I love visible thinking routines and would love to explore how to use formative to facilitate thinking routines in class.

1 Like

Welcome! Thank for your contribution to this topic

1 Like

Things that make you go hmmm.
“Now that’s a good question” , I LOVE the idea of using images - since there are no words they have to come up with their own inferences and questions. I have to remember this in my daily challenges. SOOOOO good. I have a lot of students with reading challenges but they can have conversations just fine. So images is a foot in the door to their brain. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Holy Schmokes Batman! Can I give this 5 million likes? I think this could be used by any teacher to help students learn how to ask questions - AHHHHHHHH! Sorry - just beside myself : )

4 Likes

What I love about this I see, Think, Wonder is that the image could be edited so this can be used for any class to wake students brains up for formative assessment. I REALLY like this simple clone!

2 Likes

Agreed! @mszczepanik , this an awesome formative! I think one thing that makes it great is how intriguing the article is and how it naturally encourages learners to think of a variety of interesting questions. I also LOVE how you adapted the graphic from The Right Question Institute and Teach Thought using the Formative Upload & Transform feature! This seems like an effective way to help students come up with a variety of questions and distill them down to the ones they actually want to explore. I also like how you give them an opportunity to actually explore the questions they come up with and reflect upon what they’ve learned. Lastly, I think it’s great that this is a group activity so that students can learn from what their peers are wondering too!

Altogether, this is such a simple and powerful way to support students in not only learning how to develop great questions, but also in driving their own learning.

2 Likes

agreed! As you mention, I think @niko 's formative really helps students see that their teacher is genuinely interested in what they are thinking (apart from the context of grades or looking for a correct answer). I think it that using formatives like this helps build a culture of learning where students feel more comfortable sharing their thoughts.

The first thing that comes to my mind is giving students enough time to come up with clever questions. As teachers we want to elicit good participation, but often don’t give enough time for students to come up with good answers or questions. In World Languages one thing that can be done is showing a video or a web site page, and have students come up with their own questions for other students to answer. Teacher has to monitor that the questions are easy enough for classmates to answer ( a common thing unfortunately is students using Google Translate as a shortcut and then ending up with questions that are beyond what anyone else can answer or even very badly written questions - depending on how Google Translate is behaving that day… :slight_smile: )
With GoFormative, there are a variety of ways to ask questions and I would encourage my students to create their own Formative and share it with me, so I can make sure it’s appropriate for the class before administering it.

1 Like

One activity I do with junior/senior investigative writers is work through and have them model/experience the difference between yes/no and open-ended questions. I use texting as an small example. Who likes getting a one-word answer to a text? Not many people…The same is true when we ask questions of a text or other people. We want to dig deeper and get more than one word. (This is from an English POV.)

We then talk through follow-up questions and how to use active listening to create follow-up questions. When talking about asking good questions, we also need to teach our students how to listen - to themselves and the conversation around them.

1 Like

I’ve been known to laminate and place a sheet of starters on each desk in case they get stuck.

1 Like

This is awesome! I see this as such an interdisciplinary idea - every content can use it. I could totally see this practice coming in while talking about POV in the English classroom - there’s an openness to that idea that there aren’t perfect ideas or answers. Everyone will see, think, and wonder different things (and that’s an incredible thing)!

1 Like

Agreed! I think @Niko 's formative is a great one to use when introducing students to Formative or formative assessment in general (so they can see that the focus is on understanding thinking as opposed to just grades).