Besides modeling :) How can we teach students to ask great questions? How does this support a great learning environment?

One activity I do with junior/senior investigative writers is work through and have them model/experience the difference between yes/no and open-ended questions. I use texting as an small example. Who likes getting a one-word answer to a text? Not many people…The same is true when we ask questions of a text or other people. We want to dig deeper and get more than one word. (This is from an English POV.)

We then talk through follow-up questions and how to use active listening to create follow-up questions. When talking about asking good questions, we also need to teach our students how to listen - to themselves and the conversation around them.

1 Like

I’ve been known to laminate and place a sheet of starters on each desk in case they get stuck.

1 Like

This is awesome! I see this as such an interdisciplinary idea - every content can use it. I could totally see this practice coming in while talking about POV in the English classroom - there’s an openness to that idea that there aren’t perfect ideas or answers. Everyone will see, think, and wonder different things (and that’s an incredible thing)!

1 Like

Agreed! I think @Niko 's formative is a great one to use when introducing students to Formative or formative assessment in general (so they can see that the focus is on understanding thinking as opposed to just grades).