Best Practices for Reassessment?

We have a reassessment policy and I love the idea of using Go Formative to help manage that. I searched it and could not find a topic on this specifically, so I have to know-what are the best things you do to manage reassessments in your classroom though Go Formative?

Thank you in advance.

3 Likes

I make a clone of my Formative and assign it again to my students. Or you could slightly change some of your questions, @Jenifer_Zywicki. Wasn’t there the possibility to change an uploaded pdf with another without deleting the questions, @david?

1 Like

Yep! This was a past feature vote winner. I am hoping we can do this soon!

That would be a great feature, to change out PDFs. I have been cloning, changing the name to “Formative Name v2” and adjusting questions. I just wanted to make sure I hadn’t been missing out an awesome method.
This has also taught me the value of not putting everything on Google Classroom. I post the original up there for them to take, then the retake, I have the students just log in to GoFormative. This way our GC feed does not clog up.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, Jenifer!

This is a great tip for GC users!

I like the reminder that CG gets clogged up. I have been using a MC formative as the initial assessment and en with the reassessments I often use the same material but randomize the answers and move a few questions around. This seems rather simplistic, but for many students it seems like a brand new assessment with little extra work for me. I keep it all in formative. I also close the original so they have no additional access.

3 Likes

I like the idea of making a clone and changing it a little. I teach math so it is fairly easy to change a few numbers but still have essentially the same problem. We have been using paper formatives in our classes and I’m just now moving towards using Formative. I feel like Formative might make it easier for students to do a retake because they will have easier access to the retake since it is digital. I can point students, resource teachers, parents, etc. in the direction of where to find the formative so students can do it outside of my classroom.

2 Likes

Lately I have “re-thought” the reassessment. If the students have not completed the formative work (sometimes this is from goformative but can be other activities; anything that counts as practice) then I am not allowing a reassessment. Previously, students were allowed to retake summative assessments even if they came to the test unprepared. They would be asked to do the practice work first and then be given a retest. Now, I only allow a student who turns in all the practice. Otherwise, the test grade stands. I love how easy it is to track the students in goformative. Makes this much easier for me when it’s time to allow or deny a retest.

3 Likes

I like your approach a lot, @Mary_Shields. The responsibility is returned to the student. The way it should be :wink:

3 Likes

I like the idea of using Formative for re-assessment. I plan to take the most missed questions from tests and quizzes and create a formative form those questions. It may take a little to type each question but, I feel like it will be worth the time and the formative will be an original and fit the specific needs of the students using it. If I plan to use it again, I would use that formative in a different manner other than what it was originally created for.

2 Likes