Blending English Language and Sherlock Holmes Revision

Hi @ELA_Educators

Below are two Formatives I made to blend language revision with a Sherlock Holmes short story (The Dancing Men) for grade 9 earlier this year.

If any of you teach Sherlock Holmes short stories, it would be great to connect!

1. Quiz 1
    link: https://goformative.com/clone/UUSDWH

2. Quiz 2
    link: https://goformative.com/clone/QUEERH

3 Likes

I love Sherlock Holmes! I do a unit with my eighth graders toward the end of the year. We study The Five Orange Pips and _The Blue Carbuncle. Then I have them write their own detective story (containing the elements of detective fiction) as if it were a TV show pitch to a TV executive (me). It is a group project so the kids really get into it! If you are interested, I found the original idea on a website called www.gooru.org. You can sign up for free. Look for “Project Library: What’s Up Holmes?” I don’t know if it is still there or if I can only access it because I saved it last year. Your formatives look great! I will be adding on to my project this year, most likely adding Formative to it in some way. Last year was my “guinea pig” year for that project! Have a great year and good luck to you!

3 Likes

Hi @tbland

So glad to connect with another Sherlock fan!
Thanks for the link to the below, I’m it the midst of sharing it with my fellow grade 9 English educators as we speak!

My colleague and I read through The Dancing Men with the learners to immerse them in the mindset of Sherlock and Watson and the former’s deductive powers. For the second short story (The Three Students), instead of getting the learners to read it, we created a Virtual Reality crime scene using Cospaces and G’Carboard. I then used Morfo to create digital avatars of the main witnesses giving their testimony (made directly from the text) and the learners how to solve the crime themselves!
It was a great example of a truly immersive learning dynamic and the students loved it!

I presented this project at an Apple event earlier this year so you can find my Keynote at the below link should you be interested in how it worked!

Sherlock Holmes Project using VR

Let me know what you think!

Ant

1 Like

@apeters This idea is amazing!!! I don’t know if I am good enough to do all of the tech, but simply the idea of setting up the crime scene and giving the witness testimony to my students for them to solve on their own is fantastic!!! Thank you so much for sharing this :smile: I look forward to listening to your keynote!

2 Likes

@tbland My sincerest pleasure! Immersive learning is incredibly engaging and encourages desired outcomes of student-centred learning, problem-solving skills and deductive reasoning, not to mention total immersion within the subject content!

If you move in this direction of creating your own crime scene converting existing short stories into VR ones, let me know and I’ll guide you through it!

Ant

3 Likes

Hey @apeters!! I’m Nicole, a Business Development Intern with Formative. Could you make your Sherlock Holmes Project using VR visible to anyone that clicks on the link? I would love to see what you have put together, and share it with our Facebook community as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @nicole

I’ve just given you access so let me know what you think! I created this with a colleague as a pilot and it worked so well that we are going BIG with something else next year. I’m teaching grade 7 and 8 English from Jan 2018 so let me know if you’d be interested in a collaborative project as I’m very keen for international initiatives!

Ant

3 Likes

This is absolutely amazing @apeters!! I would love to see you do a Virtual Learning Session walking me and the rest of our Community through this amazing creation. I would love to see this in action from beginning to end. Send me a message if you would like me to help you start planning :slight_smile: Be sure to check out Facebook today too. I will be giving you a shout out and showcasing your post today!

Thank you so much for sharing this with our Formative Community!!

5 Likes

@apeters Yes, please do a Virtual Learning Session! I’d love to join.

2 Likes

Hi @nicole and @michael.lutz

My apologies for only replying now - I was on the other side of South Africa celebrating my father-in-law’s 60th!

My colleague and I were supposed to write a blog on the project but then I discovered the latest Augmented Reality (AR) rollout with Apple’s iOS11 update and then I was preoccupied until examinations landed!

If you think blending Virtual Reality with Sherlock Holmes and Formative for a Virtual Learning Session would be of interest to people (outside the English subject too), sure I’ll do one!

3 Likes

@apeters I can’t wait to see this in a Virtual Learning Session :slight_smile:

2 Likes