Bloom! What are some improvements you have seen in your students because of your use of formative assessment?

Hi Everyone!

We had an awesome #formativechat last night on Twitter and had really positive and productive discussions/responses about formative assessment. We thought we could continue the conversation in the Community Center to keep the insight from the Formative community coming! Today’s topic was Question #1 in our chat last night. Please share some thoughts on this topic when you get a chance so that other educators can learn from you as well! @Certified_Educators

Image-1

Thank you and have a great day!
Cara

2 Likes

See more risk taking and having them asking when the @goformative will be up so they can check for understanding and get instant feedback. They like that and are becoming better at taking control of own learning got it or ask more questions #formativechat

3 Likes

I have seen some improvements in my students math vocaublary. They are third graders and many of them are very low readers so it is helping.
Robin

1 Like

I agree with @d.vendramin! My students also like the instant feedback and check for understanding. Often times I will have the formative set for students to get their scores after they have submitted it. I usually have the screen showing their results up on my computer. Students will come back to ask me which ones they need to “fix” before they submit it. This motivates them, including the ones who never ask questions, to have a conversation with me about how to improve their answers. I have one student in particular who would never ask questions before because it would make him look “uncool.” But now, since students lining up at my desk for a “fix check” is a normal occurrence, he can gain better understanding of the subject without taking a hit to his self-esteem. It’s a win-win!

3 Likes

Students have been explaining their answer more in the short answer section because they know when I show the responses I won’t use their name. They feel more comfortable because they won’t be called out.

2 Likes

@d.vendramin I agree my students are taking more risks too.

2 Likes

Like many people mentioned in the chat on Monday night, I have noticed that my students have been giving more attention to the process rather than the outcome. This is especially important for me as a math teacher and I love to see this improvement in my students!

2 Likes

This seems like a great system for giving students multiple opportunities to act on feedback. It’s awesome that you have been able to create a culture of learning where students feel comfortable asking for help!

1 Like