Bold, Underline, Italicize

Happy Tuesday Formative Educators!!

I would like to make my questions appear in bold, and also have the ability to underline and italicize words when I am entering my questions on a formative. I thought I used to be able to do this, but I can’t seem to figure it out right now. Could anyone give me some advice please? I really do hope I am just missing something!

Thanks!

Dean

4 Likes

Once you type something, you can highlight the text and it will give the option of bold, italics or underline. I provided a screen shot below:
29 PM

11 Likes

@Lisa_Scumpieru Do you know if we can change the font size? I copy paste from various places to create some sets and I think font changes when I copy paste. Have you experienced anything like this?

3 Likes

Yes, the font changes when copied and pasted. That was one way I knew students were not typing their own words too! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Lisa_Scumpieru…Thank you so much for this! I didn’t even think to highlight the text. I appreciate the screenshot too, that way I know what to look for! :smile: Speaking of highlighting…Do you know a way students can highlight text while annotating a document?

2 Likes

They cannot do it yet as a PDF, but you could have a section where you screenshot it and then place it as the background of the “Show Your Work”. I think that may work for short-term now.

3 Likes

No, I have not been able to change the fonts. That would be great to have a few fonts as choices.

4 Likes

That is a great suggestion @Lisa_Scumpieru. I could even have students do that on their end. They could upload a screenshot after highlighting in a document. Thanks for that workaround idea :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I would also like to change the color of words to show emphasis. Is that possible?

5 Likes

You cannot use color text as of yet. I tried typing something in color in a Doc and then cutting and pasting it into Formative. It reverted back to black. Maybe we can ask for this to be a new feature coming soon?

7 Likes

Hey Lisa and @Pebble_Johnson ! This is a great idea and definitely part of our plans! Thanks for the feedback! We record every piece that we get!

6 Likes

@Pebble_Johnson That is a fantastic suggestion. I don’t think this is a possibility at this time because I can’t do it…

3 Likes

Thanks for this feedback @david! Great to know this is part of the plans :smile:

2 Likes

I had tried that too. The kids seem to respond to the key words if I put them in different colors. Especially in the instructions.:sunglasses:

3 Likes

I would like to change the colour and font on the header too.

:slight_smile:Dawn

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback Dawn! We noted it!

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip! This was a new feature for me, so I’m happy to begin using varied fonts in the formatives I make, especially to highlight key vocabulary that I want the students to pick up on.

5 Likes

I’ve been using Formative for YEARS and didn’t know this! Lol! Thanks!!!

2 Likes

I’m seeing this now, and it would be a welcome feature especially for feedback in foreign languages. I would even find it helpful to be able to highlight words directly in their writing tasks.

4 Likes

I agree with @skpodar ! Highlighting would be :muscle:

3 Likes