Book that most influenced your instruction

What book or books have you read recently that have greatly changed the way you view the classroom or your instructional practices? How have they changed you?

For me it was The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller and Close Reading Strategies by Kyleen Beers and Robert Probst.

The Book Whisperer reaffirmed the value of teaching the love of reading by of all things, reading along side the kids. It is a well written and well researched quick read. Close Reading strategies has become my versatile go to for reading strategies in the High School ELA classroom. I have even used her methods to teach my middle-schooler and elementary-schooler at home.

3 Likes

One book that sticks out in my mind is the Innovator’s Mindset by George Couros. We need to promote not only growth mindset, but and innovator’s mindset that promotes,develops, and creates new and better ideas and tackles wicked problems.

It reaffirms by passion to grow as an educator and embrace innovation as a way to make education more exciting, engaging, and empowering for our students.

3 Likes

Sounds like a great read! It is so easy to become stagnant. Embracing change and learning is a mark of professional excellence.

3 Likes

Books that influenced:
Mathematical Mindsets by Jo Boaler
Innovators Mindset by George Couros
Differentiate Mathematics by Marion Small
From Patterns to Algebra by Beatty and Bruce
Making Number Talks Matter by Humphreys and Parker
Launch by Spencer and Juliani

Changed the thnking about Math (and all subjects) to be more open and slow thinking. Jo Boaler especially (website is youcubed.com which has a plethora of resources) really changed how I thought about communication and speed, and that it was okay for kids to struggle. Has the brain science to back it up.

:slight_smile:
Dawn

3 Likes

Wow! I love this! I am going to share your post with my friends in the math department. Thank you. By the way Dawn, what level do you teach?

1 Like

Right now 7 and 8. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Concerning my classroom practice I learnt a lot from online courses and Moocs. I also learnt from online communities through discussion and interaction with teachers world wide.

1 Like