Chromebook 1:1 Question

Hello. I am wondering if anyone out there has their students using Chromebooks with their GoFormatives. I wanted to know specifically if anyone has students use Show Your Work with the touchscreens and how it works in terms of ease. Our students had iPads for two years and often had difficulty manipulating the space. We are moving to Chromebooks this year with touch screen capability. Any suggestions and insight would be greatly appreciated. Have a great evening.

5 Likes

At our school we have touch screen Acer R11 chromebooks. They work decently well. I got a classroom set of those cheap styli for students to use. Diagonal lines often are squigly, but I use the show your work questions for trig a lot. I’ll usually do several auto-graded questions and one show your work question. Then I sit on the scores screen and pull up student work as they submit it. They all finish at different rates so I try to keep up on giving feedback and scoring that last question as they submit.

On a side note, I also have an iPad Pro and Apple pencil. The Apple Pencil works 10x better than the touch screen Chromebooks do. It has palm rejection too!

5 Likes

Thank you so much for the insight. Teachers will have a Chromebook with a stylus as well. Have you ever written on their work as well using the stylus in GoFormative? I’m trying to find ways to use the stylus for the teacher.

2 Likes

I have not. I will sometimes start the problem on the canvas for them (all students see that) but as far as making corrections and giving feedback on their work, I’m not sure that’s a feature goformative has. Is that what you were looking for?

Here’s one example where I pre-set the problem on the canvas.
GoFormative%20Student%20work

3 Likes

Have your students tried using the straight line draw tool on Formative? They can select it from the toolbar to the side of the canvas.

Being able to annotate on top of student work is a great idea. We don’t have it yet, but are definitely considering it!

3 Likes

Some do use the line tool, but most of my “Show your work” questions are mathematical work so it isn’t that big of a deal for me. The benefits far outweigh the detractors here. Also, the diagonal lines are squigly on the chromebooks but not so on the iPad pro. It might be a screen issue.

3 Likes

This would be awesome!

Our district has been 1:1 for about 10 years now and we just adopted Chromebooks for the upcoming school year. I’m actually checking one out tomorrow or Friday so I can see how they work with all my ‘stuff’ and how they interact and communicate with my teacher computer. I’ll check out the touchscreen feature in a SYW problem for you. You can send me a Guest link to a specific Formative that you want me to try out for you so you can see how it works. I can try it with a finger, a stylus, and they even say a pencil will work.

3 Likes

I teach 2nd grade and we are 1:1 with chromebooks. I usually have to spend a few lessons at the beginning of the year teaching how to use the tools with “show your work,” but the kids to really well with this! If we ever have a new kind of problem or something that is tricky I either model 1st or have students teach how to make whatever it is that we are doing happen.

I am actually going to have a class set of chromebooks that are not touch screen this year - so I am interested to see how that plays out!

2 Likes

I use Kami for the students daily work on PDFs as a learning tool. Both the students and I can draw and comment on their work, then we take our exit tickets and quizzes that need to be graded on formatives. My third graders love doing their work on their computers.

4 Likes

I checked out a Chrombook today for you @fichtlis. (Lenovo 300e made specially for education). I tried out the SYW with my finger, with a cheap stylus from Wal-Mart, a mechanical pencil, and a #2 wooden pencil. A finger did work, but it tended to ‘move’ my canvas (like click and drag) every so often which was frustrating. The stylus worked the best, the wooden pencil next best (a little ‘wiggly’), and while the mechanical pencil worked, it was ‘spotty’ and didn’t register every part of every stroke. NOTE: the graphite pencils are only set up to work on the Lenovo 300e. i will have it checked out through the weekend if anyone needs me to test out a function or do a ‘test’ run as a student on one of your Formatives.

6 Likes

This is awesome Tricia! Thank you for going above and beyond! You rock!

3 Likes

I met the guy who started Kami at a conference and I totally forgot about that tool. I just got new chromebooks and you can open them and they turn into a tablet. I need to explore them more before students get back. I am grateful for this conversation @fichtlis Thanks @tricia.mintner, now I know the options I have to consider as drawing devices.

3 Likes

@david I REALLY LOVE the idea of being able to annotate on top of student work as feedback. I my students often re-open formatives for the purpose of studying and going back over questions.

4 Likes

Completely agree. @tricia.mintner you are AWESOME!

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback and sharing a situation in which it would be useful! We are definitely considering this feature!

3 Likes