Combine LIke Terms Formative

https://goformative.com/clone/XJZTZM

Anyone have a good combine like terms formative? I have this one but I would love a more in depth one.

2 Likes

Hi Ross, I looked at your formative. While I don’t have a more in depth one, I do have an idea. What do you think about adding “math libs” to your existing formative? It would definitely make the assignment more engaging. I found this resource on teacherspayteachers if you don’t mind paying $3, but if not you could definitely make your own. I hope it helps. :smile: MathLib

1 Like

I am also having a difficult time using formatives for my algebra unit. I am teaching combining like terms tomorrow and I ended up only creating a paper assignment. I like to encourage my struggling students to highlight or circle the like terms before doing any math work. I am still working on how this can effectively be done on Formative.

1 Like

You could type an expression into the “show your work” question type and then have the students circle and highlight the like terms. I do this with my formatives all the time and the students find it pretty easy. My “creative” students even take the time to use the circle and line tool to make the circles and boxes “perfect”. Here is what it looks like…

5 Likes

You could maybe try what I posted above? My students really like to show their work on Formatives!

4 Likes

I did take a look at your Formative though and I liked it. Seems like a quick and easy way to check for understanding with the concept of combining like terms.

2 Likes

When assessing in a formative way, I was always more concerned about the students showing what they know, rather than the assessment itself. After a few minutes working initially on combining like terms, I would assess to see where the kids were at individually. I always had something to expand that knowledge and something to continue the objective if they didn’t progress. Then I always had a formative ready to go to re-test, or see where the expanded opportunity took the students.

2 Likes

What are math libs exactly?

1 Like

Thank you so much! I love it!

1 Like

Well of course! Is there a way you would make this Formative better so that it does a better jobs of allowing the students to show what they know?

1 Like

A math spin on mad libs.

1 Like

Hi there! Have you considered AppSmashing with Flipgrid so that students could actively explain how they combined the like terms for provided problems? I love giving students the opportunity to “teach” others.

3 Likes