Continuously Online?

I have a student that is struggling with the platform. She is frantic because she says that she has been completing work and it is not showing up as completed in Formative. When I use the Tracker page, it shows that she has only worked on one assignment. It also shows that she has opened other assignments.

I have a question. Do students need to be continuously online when they work on any Formatives? If a student goes offline and continues to work on an assignment, will it still upload her offline work when she is reconnected to the internet? I had never really thought about this. I just assumed that my students would have continuous connections, but I realize now that many of them may try to work offline and think that their offline work will just resync when they are connected again.

After talking with the student some more, it seems that she did not have consistent access to the internet. My student may not be very tech-savvy, so she may not have understood that she could not work offline. Does Formative notify students if their work does not sync or upload to the Formative servers? Is there any notification that they receive when they are reconnected. It would help moving into next year, so I can prepare my students more thoroughly.

1 Like

I have not come across this. Anyone else having this issue? This is a great question as we move into a new school year. Thanks for bringing this up.

1 Like

Without an internet connection the student will see an alert that indicates the answer(s) did not save.

1 Like

Responses save about every 10 second and students can start and stop. That being said, I have had issues with my own wifi, where it’s been offline, but it allows me to enter answers on a page (my grade book even!) without an alert… only to find out later my answers didn’t “stick.” I have found that ‘refreshing’ my page every few minutes helps me to catch internet issues before I do a lot of work that doesn’t save.

If she knows she lost the internet (in my house devices stagger their disconnections) we loudly alert the rest. At that point I do NOT refresh my screen. I simply leave the page up (with all the answers I’ve typed) and open a new page. I keep trying to access a known page (like my email), refreshing ONLY that new tab until the wifi connects again. At that point, she should be able to resume. If she doesn’t want to sit around waiting for the wifi to reconnect, she MIGHT be able to close her laptop. I know I can close my laptop and reopen later and my work is still there even through the computer was ‘offline’ at the time. She would have to test that, though, to make sure it works with her device.

Thank for for the info. I will post this so my students are prepared.

1 Like