Edgar Allan Poe - Mini bio and quiz

This is a quiz I created when I first started working with Formative. It is only six questions, but I used it to introduce my students Poe before reading some of his works.

https://goformative.com/clone/SFHJGZ

5 Likes

@tbland Thanks for sharing! That’s a cool Poe intro! If you’re interested, I’ll share some other things you could add to this or another Poe Formative you create. When I taught freshmen, I did a big Poe unit and included “The Black Cat” in it. I LOVE that story, and the kids really did as well! A colleague of mine and I found the website pasted below that allows the students to interact with the story “The Black Cat” and find other info about Poe’s life as a kid in school. You could always add the link to these interactive tasks and develop some questions over them. I promise it will be a hit with your kids!

http://knowingpoe.thinkport.org/writer/picturethis.asp

4 Likes

Thanks @ebryan! I appreciate the comment on my formative. I am working on another about Roald Dahl (his life was fascinating!). I love that site you shared! I’ve used it before. We read “The Raven” and “Tell Tale Heart” as a part of a short story unit that I put into my curriculum every other year. This year we read “The Masque of the Red Death” for Halloween :slight_smile: I am going to be teaching a short story elective course next semester and “The Black Cat” will be in there! Love Poe! Commonlit.org has a great selection of stories (not just Poe) with pre-made quizzes, they are common core aligned, if you are interested! It’s free!

3 Likes

@tbland I’ve looked at CommonLit.org! I haven’t found the right piece to use yet in my classes, but I will! I also love “The Masque of the Red Death”! I used to teach that one to freshmen, too! Have you taught the short stories class before? If not, good luck! Before I was in my current position as Instructional Coach/EdTech, I taught a short stories class for several years. I definitely included some Roald Dahl. If you’ve never read the story of his called “William & Mary” you need to! It’s a hoot! Of course, one of his best known stories is “Lamb to the Slaughter” (one of my all-time favorites). “Beware of the Dog” is also another good one. If you need any help with the short stories class, let me know!

3 Likes

@ebryan This will be my first year teaching the short stories and I am so excited to do it! “Lamb to the Slaughter” is on my list to be taught. I love Dahl’s “The Landlady” as well, but another teacher laid claim to that one :slight_smile: I will take a look at “William and Mary.” Thanks for the support! I will definitely reach out for help if I get stuck!

2 Likes

@tbland If you didn’t already know, Alfred Hitchcock did “Lamb to the Slaughter” as one of his episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents in season 3. I bought the whole set on DVD from Amazon just for that one episode! LOL
If you’re looking for another story that’s very “Hitchcockian”, look at “The Right Kind of House” by Henry Slezar. In fact, he adapted that one into a show that’s on the same season 3 set. Roald Dahl had a TV show in the UK called Tales of the Unexpected that he used to host. There’s a version of William and Mary on YouTube. Here’s a link:
Tales of the Unexpected - William & Mary
They also did one for Lamb to the Slaughter (not as good as the Hitchcock version, though):
Tales of the Unexpected - Lamb to the Slaughter

2 Likes

@ebryan I just saw the “Tales of the Unexpected - Lamb to Slaughter.” Thanks for sharing that! I will have to look for the Hitchcock version. Also, in looking for more short stories, I just read Ray Bradbury’s “The Veldt.” So messed up :open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:, but also so relevant to today’s youth. I teach Fahrenheit 451 with my students and have read a few of Bradbury’s other works, and I am convinced that man could see the future!

1 Like

@tbland It’s eerie how similar things are to today’s world that Bradbury wrote! I’ll have to check out “The Veldt.” While on the subject, there was an old TV show that Bradbury used to do as well. It’s called The Ray Bradbury Theater. Some of it hasn’t aged well, but it adapted many of his stories into episodes. Bradbury actually was involved with it, too, obviously. I found my set (5 disc set) at Walmart by chance one day. That could also be helpful for your short stories class. If anything, it’ll provide something for a day you just don’t feel well and need something to show! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know getting students interested in reading poetry can sometimes be a challenge, but I love this great introduction to Poe that definitely leaves me wanting to find out more about his life and work. A great mix of different question types and focus areas! I would love to know what your students thought of it?

3 Likes

@tbland I LOVE Commonlit and ActivelyLearn is becoming a favorite of min as well. great Formative!

1 Like

@Andrew_MacLean my kids were really pumped to learn more about Poe after seeing his mini bio! I displayed their answers to the question requiring them to draw an image that they associated with Poe. We had a great time looking through the art work :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Taniya, we gave you a shoutout on Twitter! Thanks for sharing this awesome Poe intro!

3 Likes

Thank you so much for this! We are reading “Annabel Lee” today and doing a few different things with the poem.They will do A LOT of Poe in 8th grade and in high school, so they really just need a brief introduction. This is a perfect “station” for them to be able to complete independently.

2 Likes