ESL/ELA Formative

I have been trying to help our ESL teachers integrate more technology into their instruction. I am not an ESL teacher, but attended a training the other day. I made this today. I would love to hear thoughts and feedback.

https://goformative.com/formatives/upRwyxoymohsq5k7r/view

6 Likes

This is awesome Ashly. I am not an ESL teacher either, but I really like how you are assessing students on their ability to identify and use prepositions in multiple ways :+1:

1 Like

How are ESL classes integrated into your school(s)? We have ESL students directly integrated into the regular education classes. A Formative like this would overwhelm them since many of them just made it to the states this year and often cannot read or speak that much English. I believe this a great formative if you would be helping and guiding the students along. In my classroom, it would be hard because they are mixed in with general education on-grade classes and would not be able to tackle it on their own without assistance.

3 Likes

Hi Lisa. Thank you for the feedback. We have various levels of ESL in our adult ed program. I think a major problem will also be using technology. That being said, this would be something the teacher would most likely have to walk a student through and could potentially take several days.

2 Likes

Nicely done! I like the way you incorporate multiple resources into the Formative!

3 Likes

I work at a school with very high ESL population and one tool that my teachers have found extremely helpful is OneNote Class Notebook because it can read text aloud to students and students can audio record their voices. Having said that, most ESL students are usually able to speak a new language before they are able to read and comprehend it. I know Formative has the ability for audio response as an advanced question type. You could probably enhance Exercise B by adding audio responses and providing feedback on how they are speaking. Allowing students to speak will go a long way in helping them acquire the language. And while Formative is totally awesome, I think there are some other tools that may service this particular population a little better.

1 Like

@david maybe that is something that we can look at embedding into a Formative?

1 Like

@tbreaux1 I agree that having the text read aloud for students would be an awesome addition to this formative! Great suggestion!

@msashlylcot

I just added this Chrome extension and it allows the student to have all the text on the Formative read to them or they can highlight text and have it read to them:

While the the description of the Chrome Extension says it supports the reading of PDF’s, I have not found a way to do this. I have reached out to them and will let you know if I hear back. Another option is to record yourself reading the passage using a site like this and embedding the recording into Formative.

Does this meet your need or is there something that would work better?

2 Likes

@dplatt I know you were looking for text to voice… I don’t know if this thread will help or not?

1 Like

I am looking for an extension that reads the PDFs. At this point, there isn’t something like this. @david: What does GF convert the PDFs into? An image?

1 Like

They are converted to PNGs!