Estimation Challenge

Hey peeps, here’s a formative I made based on one of Andrew Stadel’s Estimation 180 challenges. I’ve used it as a do-now when teaching volume. I find that engaging students in estimation is a fun way to get students thinking about math. I think that estimation in particular is great way to engage all students and especially ones who are not confident in their math ability because with estimation, they know there is no right or wrong answer.

I’d love to hear what you all think of this strategy and if you have any other low-pressure activities that are accessible for a wide range of students.

2 Likes

Hey @casey_liu! This is a REALLY awesome idea. I have never heard about this before and I can definitely see this as something kids would LOVE to do. I looked up this estimation 180 website and was looking at Day 1 and found myself trying to answer the questions and coming up with ways to decide how tall he was. For example, I saw he was standing by bushes. The bushes were about half his body. So I figured they are probably somewhere around 3 feet making him somewhere around 6 feet! Plus the fence in the background was too short to be 6 foot which meant probably 4 foot. FUN!

1 Like

Glad you like it Sean! Yeah, my students love starting class with an estimation challenge and I love his website too. I couldn’t help but start do a little height estimation of my own when I go on my morning walks haha. I am thinking about making some estimation challenges with my students too! Have you found any other great websites out there for math materials (problems, tasks, challenges…)? I am always looking for new resources :grin:

2 Likes

My favorite one I used was illustrative mathematics. It had some challenging real world tasks in there and gave full explanations of the task for the teacher to read and understand!

2 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, Illustrative Math is great. Have you seen the formatives available on the community site? Great samples! http://community.goformative.com/library/#illustrativemath+openmiddle

1 Like

Yes! I was supposed to help with that process, but life got in the way of course…

1 Like

Love this! Cool task. Love the picture and video!

1 Like