Flipped Lessons

I have been using flipped lessons through Goformative. Is there a way to see how long a student stayed on an assignment?

3 Likes

Please provide some examples (clone code). I’m very interested how you’re doing this, @Payton_Pearce.

1 Like

YNFLWQ

I embed the video through youtube. I usually have 2 or 3 on topic questions that relate to the material to gauge their immediate understanding before they get to class. I always have 1 off topic question that they would only know the answer to if they watched the video. Finally, I have a spot where they can ask questions so I know what some of the misconceptions are before class begins. It would be nice if I could see how long they spent on the assignment because I’m afraid I have some cheating going on.

1 Like

Thank you! You might start your lesson by asking your students to answer the last questions from your Formative.

1 Like

In the class section you see at what time the last login was, compared with the submission time you get an approximately estimate - knowing that students can login and wait a long time until they submit… Don‘t tell them :wink:

1 Like

That’s a good idea. I have not thought about that.

1 Like

This is helpful. This will be a seller for my teachers. I’m assuming we can reset them if they fly through an assessment?

1 Like

You can always end the session and do another one, but the way I have mine set up is with the classes. This way, I am able to have it individually assigned to the students in a certain period so they can’t begin before class starts.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback Payton. We can definitely consider adding this feature! I like @michael.lutz 's workaround too!

@david I’d love to have this feature, too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@david @michael.lutz @Payton_Pearce I would love this option too. If I were to put every link separately in our LMS, I would be able to see this, but not if I just have them login and find the formative.

1 Like

Got it! Thanks for the feedback Shai! Can you share why you’d like to be able to see how long a student has opened a formative? Is it because you are also concerned that they might be cheating?

@david Cheating is one reason, but another reason would be for me to see if a student is really taking the time to do the problems, or just rushing through. Also, the flip of that, if a student is taking a really long time, perhaps I need to have a one-on-one with the student to check for understanding another way.

1 Like

This might be a workaround … I haven’t done this but could you put the video into Edpuzzle and then embed the Edpuzzle into Formative? I am just not sure if it would force the student to sign into Edpuzzle and therefore see how long they spent on the video

1 Like

Here is a quick formative I made that may make what I mentioned before a little more obvious.
https://goformative.com/formatives/tNyDiiAACeSN6GMY3
Or if you want to clone it: https://goformative.com/clone/TQPNHQ

1 Like