Formative and PLC's

Good Morning Community! I am looking for ways to increase the use of Formative amongst my PLC. Has anyone introduced Formative to their PLC as an effective assessment tool? Does anyone have any suggestions of an activity, or activities I could do with my PLC to engage them, and show them the power of using Formative in the classroom?

10 Likes

I used this presentation last year and made a formative for my colleagues to fill out so they could see how it was used. Also, my student teacher did it where she put a picture of a classroom and did a formative with her fellow student teachers trying to design what their classroom would look like.

Formative Presention

14 Likes

I think the best way to present any tech tool is to show them the power of the tool first. The power of Formative is through its live results, embedding, and options of returning scores. These features should be the focus of a formative you make to give to your team and show them how it could work in the classroom. That will get them wanting to know more.

8 Likes

That is an amazing presentation @Lisa_Scumpieru!! Thanks so much for sharing. I am intrigued by the titles of the formatives you listed as examples too. It appears the codes are 7 characters long instead of 6 though. I would love to see those formatives, would you mind sharing the codes with me? I can use all the examples I can get my hands on :slight_smile: And thank you so much again!!! Jasper

1 Like

Awesome @Smkendal…thanks so much for the info! I will be sure to highlight those key areas that you pointed out! I can’t wait to begin sharing Formative with my team…and school!!

2 Likes

I changed the links to reflect the new formative sharing of clones. I hope this helps.

3 Likes

Thanks so much @Lisa_Scumpieru! Those formatives are amazing. I appreciate you updating the links :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello,
I shared it with my team and I showed them how I use it for bellwork everyday as well as for quick learning check. I also shared all the features specially how to track students’ progress and tag to standards.

5 Likes

I have shared it as well the enhanced pdf/word feature has really sold many I have showed it to on Formative

4 Likes

When I introduced Formative to our entire teaching staff I had them attempt the spelling test I’d given my Grade 7s earlier in the week, and projected the live results to the board. The competitive streak in most of them kicked in and they wanted to know more once they’d finished their spelling!

5 Likes

Hey Faiza, I will definitely be sharing how I primarily use Formative in my classroom. I am pretty new to it so I’ve just started to use it for weekly quizzes, but I am hoping that my colleagues will be able to think of some other great ideas for using it too. I like the idea of using it for daily bellwork, but am so used to using paper slips for this since it’s super quick to turn back the next day. I’d love to hear how you report progress back to students with Formative.

Also, I haven’t dived into using Formative for tag standards or progress tracking yet, but this is something I definitely want to get into. I’d love to see a virtual learning session about this!

3 Likes

I love this feature! I will definitely be showing it to my colleagues since I know they will appreciate being able to use their old resources and save trips to the copy machine! Thanks :grinning:

2 Likes

Nice work :smile: I know that my staff would love to take a spelling one. It’s sounds so fun and easily accessible for all teachers. And I really like the idea of projecting the responses. I want to try this with my students soon!

3 Likes

Hi @whstewart0626, since we get live answers, I usually give them feedback right away and we check together. I use short answers and multiple choice questions. I give students a chance to edit their answer.

4 Likes

@faiza.berradagouzi…that is a wonderful suggestion for reporting progress. I also love the idea of editing answers as we go! Thanks so much for this feedback!

3 Likes

Hi @JasperH

My apologies that this is a very late reply to your request! I made a Formative using silly humour to introduce my school staff to some of the functions of Formative.

Feel free to use/amend with the clone link below!

Link: https://goformative.com/clone/QRPSPN

Anthony

9 Likes

I love the annotation questions :heart: :laughing:

6 Likes

I teach Formative to all ranges (K-12). A lot of them are on the fence about using it, until I show them how to upload their own worksheets into the Formative. That really gets some of the old schoolers on board. Of course, I have to make several trips to their classes to help them implement and grade, but once they get started and get comfortable, they love it !

6 Likes

Great presentation, @Lisa_Scumpieru! I haven’t tried embedding something inside a Formative yet, but I will try to soon! Thanks for sharing your work!

6 Likes

@JasperH Here are two presentations I recently did for a two-part webinar. I found my second one was more successful than the first, so I am probably going to combine the two when I do my live presentation in February. I will probably borrow some of @Lisa_Scumpieru Ideas as well because I love her views and thoughts. I wish I had known her before I did my presentations. Feel free to borrow anything you think might be useful in your own.

Formative Part 1

Formative Part 2

4 Likes