Formative and Rewordify - Reading comprehension tool

Rewordify is a free, handy little website that will simplify the vocabulary of any webpage, and display it in a variety of ways
rewordify

For those times when you find the “perfect article”, but you know your students may have a hard time with comprehension. It can even create vocab activities for you.

And, of course, it can be embedded into Formative. Here’s how:

https://goformative.com/clone/LDTYYW

9 Likes

Woah! This is such a cool tool and I love how you can embed it into Formative! In addition to embedding it upfront to differentiate by reading level, I could also see it being a useful modification when you spot students struggling (hyperlink to a Re-wordify article when you are sending feedback)! I’d love to hear what other @Science_Educators @ELA_Educators @SSHistory_Educators think about this tool!

2 Likes

I used this a couple of weeks when my students were struggling with a tough reading. It’s handy, but sometimes the re-wordified version comes out a little strange. I had not thought of embedding it into Formative. Good idea! I love Actively Learn for reading, but have not thought of a way to app smash it with Formative (yet).

1 Like

Rewordify seems like it would work well with helping kids understand Shakespeare, but would that cause some of the reworded versions to come out strange like @msashlylcot mentions?? Any other @ELA_Educators use it with The Bard?

1 Like

@ebryan They have a lot of literature already in the library. You should check it out and see how it looks. I’m kind of curious about that one myself.:joy:

1 Like

@ebryan and @msashlylcot
Here is the link to what they already have on Shakespeare , and the one I pulled up (All’s Well that Ends Well - Act 1)

One of the reasons it works for me is because of the settings I choose (Display original with vocabulary column - See below). The original is there, but the “tough words” are defined on the side so that the kiddos can quickly reference them without losing the rhythm.

1 Like

That is an awesome tool. I’m going to try creating a Formative with it as you described!

2 Likes