Gizmos and GoFormative

I use Gizmos from Explore Learning a lot. I was wondering if anyone else has tied Gizmos and Goformative together, and if so, please share :).

I created a GoFormative for the Gizmo: Moon Phases.

Would love to build up some Goformative for Gizmos…

Any help, suggestions, or feedback would be awesome…

Happy almost Turkey Break!
Pebble

4 Likes

This formative is amazing in so many ways! I love how you split it up into sections so that they can first activate their prior knowledge, warm up, and then engage in the simulation and learn more! I’ve gotten to see so many amazing formatives from you in the community center and would LOVE to see you lead a virtual learning session about them! I think @Science_Educators would really benefit from it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can do…

Working on doing more GF and Gizmos…

:slight_smile:Pebble

1 Like

@drjatthehooch @david Hi, very nicely set up Formative! I am not familiar with Gizmos, are you allowed to Embed the Gizmo into a Formative?

2 Likes

We use Gizmos a TON! I hadn’t thought about embedding them into Formatives, which we also use A TON. Great idea!!!

I also really like the way you split it up into different sections. We tried doing that with just text blocks, but they don’t stand out enough to make a difference. The pictures are cute and are definitely noticeable!

2 Likes

@drjatthehooch…thank you so much for sharing this!! I gave you a shout out on our Facebook page today, so please be sure to check it out…and like/share it :slight_smile: I also asked if anyone in Facebook land has used Gizmos with Formative to get some more ideas! Thanks again for sharing and being a valued member of our Formative Community :blush:

2 Likes

Awesome! I am messaging you so we can plan one!

Maybe we can talk the crew into some ‘bling’ for sprucing up the Formatives like ‘section heading blocks’…???

I just used a publishing program I have with screen shots (inserted as jpegs).

TY you so much.

2 Likes

TY…The kids worked on the Formative today…I hadn’t thought about embedding Gizmo into GoFormative…will try that soon…

1 Like

@BarryD
Hadn’t thought about embedding Gizmo…Will try out soon.

1 Like

I just wanted to let you know that I think this is a fantastic idea and I recorded it! We definitely want to offer more options to make your formatives more colorful and aesthetically pleasing.

1 Like

@BarryD @nicole @ndyer Pebble figured out how to embed Gizmos! Check it out:

3 Likes

I :heart: this idea. I too use Gizmos and don’t like all the paper usage! Bravo to the use of the graphics for warmup etc. I am going to be using your ideas for sure! Thank you so much for sharing!

4 Likes

For the Gizmos with tables, would you use the show your work option with the table as a background? I really like the idea of combining these activities.

2 Likes

@bennettl Great question! Yeah, that’s a great workaround. Another option would be to use the “Enhance a PDF/Doc” feature to upload a table and then to add spots for students to input their data. If you use this second workaround, you’ll see the values that students input but not the entire table. It’d be great to hear which one you go with!

1 Like

Thank you for the inspiration to use Gizmos in my GoFormatives! I have created a GoFormative for Factor Trees (Factoring Numbers). Perfect for fifth graders! Working on incorporating these into my Hyperdocs and post to Schoology. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

May

1 Like

I had not thought about embedding Gizmos into Formatives. After looking at all of these examples, I am inspired to try. I am also wondering about embedding Phet simulations. Let the appsmashing begin.

2 Likes

I created several GoFormatives to go with the Cell Division Gizmo - (Folder)
I decided to chunk the assignment so students (7th grade) would not get overwhelmed. Once I had the four sections, I was a bit unsure about how to provide the links. I wanted students to proceed to the next section as soon as they finished and originally thought of giving the link at the bottom of each formative. However, I feared that students would either click submit and not have the link available or they would click the link and forget to click submit.
Finally decided to provide the links on a clickable Google drawing, which forces students to right click each to open in a new tab. This also gave me the opportunity of having that initial formative as a Mastery Quest (summative assessment)

Here is the link to that Mastery Formative
What do you think?

3 Likes

@mgarcia Excellent done and very motivating and interactive! I would love to have you as my science teacher. :smiley:
Having a Google drawing and leading students there through a learning path is the best choice.

3 Likes

Tip for Gizmos (and other simulators) and GoFormative. When using both at the same time it is incredibly helpful to teach students to open side by side windows.

Although the Gizmo is embedded as a reference, moving up and down between the simulator and the instructions/questions is hard (at least for my middle schoolers). Once I showed them how easy it was to simply have two windows open, they breezed through.

3 Likes