Graphing Changes

@Math_Educators I like the idea of having graphing availabilities for students. However, the one thing I don’t care for is they are using Desmos. I want the students to draw the graph manually, similar to the PARCC exam. Is there a possibility to make that happen?

5 Likes

I agree. Desmos is great but students need to be able to take a blank graph and add everything on it they need to.

2 Likes

I just made this for you…is this what you needed?

Clone Code: AAUTCO or
https://goformative.com/clone/AAUTCO

If so, I just made a ‘show your work’ question and added an image with the blank graph.
Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve had students do both in my class. Here’s a line of best fit!
https://goformative.com/clone/EJVUNX

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, students can graph specific points on a Desmos graph, too. Perhaps you could start with a ‘show your work’ space where students can show how they substitute values into the given equation to find coordinates on the ‘line.’ Then students can graph a specified number of points (I would use 3 for linear equations, and 5 for the others) on the first 3 or 5 lines of Desmos… then they can enter the equation in the final line. Formative (generic example)

Of course, I use a standard blank graph in Show Your Work problems if I think students might just ‘cheat’. The nice thing about the example using Desmos is that if a student discovers they didn’t chose a ‘good’ point, graphing the original equation last will show them the erroneous point. I’m okay with students changing their answers based on this discovery. I think it helps solidify the learning paths… especially when they go back to change their ‘work’ in the first problem. Hopefully, they will find the mistake they made… and learn from that mistake.

2 Likes

I like to provide review/assess prior knowledge of topics by embedding edpuzzle video’s in my formatives Middle school students seem to really enjoy video’s from Shmoop. You might also consider adding instructional video’s for Graphing form Desmos.
Adding these steps will also increase the number of teachers who might consider using your formatives.

2 Likes

If your students are responding to our Graphing Question Type, they can create a table with specific points to be graphed! Is that what you are thinking of or is there another Desmos feature you are thinking of for graphing specific points?

I love your example, Tricia! I had no idea that one could enter coordinate pairs to be graphed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me neither! I found it by accident one day. My fingers slipped and I typed a (… so I tested it out and it worked!!

1 Like

We can spread the word about this more via our Twitter handle and elsewhere!

2 Likes