Have you ever used a Breakout or similar platform in your classroom? What are the benefits?

@GamificationGBL_Eds

3 Likes

Love using Break Outs (even had our industrial arts teacher build me my own box). I love the excitement that the game creates and many times the students don’t even realize they are learning. Lots of collaboration and critical thinking. Have used as a team building activity as well. #formativechat

3 Likes

Silly question: what’s a breakout? I hear about those a lot in this community, but I don’t know what they are. I feel like I’m missing out on something very cool. Could someone enlighten me, please?

Sorry: I’m still new to teaching!
Claire

3 Likes

I haven’t used a Breakout in my classroom before but have definitely enjoyed learning more about them and think that they are a great way to gamify the classroom. For those of you who are new to Breakouts, I definitely recommend that you check out @Dawn_Frier1 webinar! Also, here’s a treasure trove of free Breakouts and templates you can use!

4 Likes

@clairesedoyle A breakout is essentially an educational escape room. Can be done as digital one, live one using real locks and boxes, or a combination of the two. My students love them!

3 Likes

@Dawn_Frier1 and @david, thanks! Dawn, I just watched your webinar. Wow. Now that I have seen you demonstrate, I think I want to make an ELA breakout for reviewing subject/verb agreement. Hmmm… @david, thanks for posting the links.

Claire

4 Likes

Hey Claire this might be a good link to get ideas from https://www.breakoutedu.com/

5 Likes

@clairesedoyle, Breakouts are a blast! They do take some time to develop, depending on your subject area, but it’s totally worth seeing the kids get frustrated (in a good way) about learning something new! They squirm and wiggle about trying to get the clues solved, but they have always told me that they get a little stressed but like it at the same time! :slight_smile:
Here is an infographic I created that might help you get things organized for creating a Digital BreakoutEDU:
Digitial BreakoutEDU Infographic

1 Like