How can we create an environment where students feel comfortable being learning resources for one another?

On Monday, @rdene915 and I led a #formativechat about productive peer assessment. We heard some really great ideas about how to help create an environment where students feel comfortable learning from one another. We’d love to hear your ideas as well!

30%20AM

Side note: Here’s an awesome graphic by Dylan Wiliam, showing the 5 key strategies of formative assessment and how all parties (teachers, learners, peers) all play a key role. Activating students as learning resources for one an essential part of the package.

4d7c7d299f9cdf546e3dd5fee548c45f

@informed_members @Certified_Educators

5 Likes

Many factors that come into play. For some an easy transition for others not so much. It more of a process rather than a quick solution. Again like most areas in a classroom relationships at core. T needs to model. Flexibility needed.

1 Like

Here were my answers from the chat:
A1: It’s hard to have Ss perceive themselves as experts. I love using @flipgrid and telling them that they will teach the next set of Ss something about the subject. #empowerthem #formativechat

A1: If a student finishes early, allow them to be the expert and help you circulate around the room guiding others. Let them feel you are helping them out. #formativechat

1 Like

A1: If a student finishes early, allow them to be the expert and help you circulate around the room guiding others. Let them feel you are helping them out

I love doing this in my classroom. The students are motivated to do their best so that they can earn the title of “expert” for the day and get to help explain the content to their classmates.

1 Like

I agree that creating this environment is a process with many different factors. I also agree that it’s important for teachers to model this. If we can show them that we can learn from them just like they can learn from us, I think this can help build their confidence for engaging in reciprocal relationships with their peers. Essentially, if we can move from a “sage on the stage” role to a facilitator one and partner with them in learning, I believe this can have a huge impact.

I also think it’s important to provide students with consistent opportunities to shine, as @fichtlis mentions. Each student has relative strengths and if we can allow them all to be an expert at one point or another, I think this helps level the playing field and create a more collaborative environment.

3 Likes