How can you help students sustain their motivation for learning and prevent burn out?

FormativeQuestion @Certified_Educators This is one of the questions we discussed in the Twitter chat on Monday. We would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

By amplifying student voice, if students can be included in the decision making process and have their opinions voiced they will feel included and valued. In addition if you can make the students feel they are a part of a learning community that values their opinions and that changes are made in regards of those opinions their intrinsic motivation grows.

3 Likes

I agree with Nico, it is important for students to have a voice. Also, giving a student a creative way to demonstrate what they have learned based on their learning style. (visual, auditory, reading/writing, and kinesthetic) will motivate the student to stay engaged. Below is a link that we use in our district that gives teachers ideas on how to differentiate lessons based on their students learning styles.
https://sites.google.com/a/sbcusd.k12.ca.us/edtech/educators/lesson-design

2 Likes

Agree with what has been said, student choice and voice are important to keep students engaged. In PBL, this can be done not only with the choice of product and specific area a team decides to focus on but also with the choice of finished product. When my students ask, “Can I create a ___”, my answer is “choose whatever you think is best to demonstrate that you know what you are talking about (AKA, demonstrate mastery)”.

2 Likes

Keep things fresh. Enjoy the learning process with them and encourage them to share their successes and challenges with each other. Need to model what we expect as well. Take some risks and try new things ourselves. Work on developing a culture with a positive atmosphere, growth mindset, and positive relationships.

3 Likes

Giving students options and voice not only with instruction, but in assessment as well. Recently, I have let students show understanding on a particular topic or question by letting them answer what they DO understand about that topic/question. Even if I know that particular student doesn’t fully understand the skill/concept/standard/task, I can still get a concept of what they DO know. This change in assessment has helped the confidence and motivation during testing because my kids know that I can still see that they are learning.

4 Likes

I agree that it’s important to ensure that the technology fits the learning rather than the other way around. The list your provide gives some great options!

1 Like

@jkim6 This such a great idea. To build off of what you said, I think that often times if a question presents a barrier to students then it can discourage them from responding at all and cause them to shut down. I like the idea of getting feedback on what students know, first, so you can meet them where they are.

4 Likes

@tbreaux1 We teach the 7 habits of highly effective students. We take time to sharpen our saws (balance in life) during school by making sure students have real break times and have exercise time. To do this, we model and encourage students to be proactive, to keep the end in mind, and put first things first. Being able to organize their time, students tend to keep from burning out. Plus teachers are very mindful on the amount of homework and classwork that is assigned. We spend time discussing how to make cross curriculum projects so that students get more “bang for their buck” for work.

4 Likes

I agree that students must have a voice in the classroom to keep them motivated. I also feel that students are more motivated to learn when I incorporate “low floor high ceiling” tasks. Having tasks with multiple entry points allows all levels of students to be engaged and contribute to the class conversation. In my experience, students continue to sustain their motivation for learning when they can participate, be engaged, and feel success at some level.

3 Likes

I love this term, Rebecca :slight_smile: It’s great to hear that you create these kinds of activities for your students!

I like to use multiple applications to help students sustain their motivation. Students are able to have the choice in which application, but also structuring the classroom with options and specifics that work best with the standards at hand. I also provide students flexible seating in and out of the classroom, which helps with student choice in the format that they learn.

3 Likes