How do I remove questions from a student's grade?

Hello, everyone!

I have a question about Formative’s “Tracker” feature. Does anyone know how to tell the tracker a) not to include certain questions in the calculation of a student’s grade, or b) not to include an entire Formative assignment in its calculations? I recently created a Formative containing multiple essay questions, then told my students that they could each choose one to answer for credit. I graded the question they chose to answer and left the rest without a score. The totals page for that Formative shows their correct grades: whatever they scored on one question. The tracker, though, seems to be including all the questions. So a student who should have a 95% on her work looks like she earned a 14%. This is skewing my data dreadfully.

Next time, I’ll try creating multiple Formatives of one question each. But can anyone tell me how to fix the problem?

Thanks!
Claire

4 Likes

@csewimbush Dear Claire, you raised an interesting question. I have some workaround ideas:
Are you using standards? If so, just don’t set a standard in a specific question. Then this question will not go into the standard. However the tracker will count it.

Another idea: give 1 point for a credit question (compared to a total of - let’s say - 36) it won’t way much. Answering the credit question correctly you raise the points of that student in another high rated questions: e.g. the student got 2/5 in a question and because he answered the credit question correctly, you raise his points from 2 to 5/5.

@david I suggest a non-rated category for a whole formative:

3 Likes

Thank you, Michael! Those are good ideas. I will try playing around with points to see if I can persuade the tracker to calculate the scores my way. I am using standards, so I will also try removing them.

I do wish there were a way to exclude questions. A non-rated category would also be helpful, as you suggest. Perhaps in a future Formative update?

Claire

2 Likes

Hey Claire, great question! You can set questions to be worth zero points and they will not be counted towards the score that appears in the tracker (only the ones that are worth points will). That being said, it sounds like you also want to give students a choice of which question count towards their final score and that will vary from student to student.

While I think that having the option of quickly making a formative “not scored” would be a great time saver @michael.lutz , I wonder what we could do to accommodate that element of student choice :thinking:

2 Likes

@david I would do it like this:

3 Likes

Hi, David! That’s correct: student choice is an essential part of the assessment. I would like to be able to tell the tracker which questions to count on a student-by-student basis. If I could edit already-submitted Formatives to change the way they are graded for each student, that would do the trick.

I tried the two workarounds @michael.lutz suggested (thanks!)–removing standards and raising points to make the tracker show accurate grades–but neither quite matches what I need. If I remove standards, I lose one of my favorite Formative features.If I give the students credit for questions they did not answer, I mess with the basic data in a way I am trying to avoid. (Accurate basic data and standards tracking are two reasons I switched to Formative in the first place :slight_smile: .)

I like the idea of categorizing questions, but I don’t quite see how it would work in practice. Could adding a category question of the type @michael.lutz suggests change the way the tracker counts scores?

Thank you both for discussing this with me! I would love to find a solution.

Claire

2 Likes

@csewimbush just don’t add a standard to the specific question (not to the whole formative). All your other questions would contain one or more standards. Would that help?

1 Like

Thanks, @michael.lutz. Yes, it would. Can I do that after the students submit the assessment? I don’t know until that point which questions each student chose. I would need to remove standards for the questions each student did not answer, and those vary. I just looked at a student’s submitted Formative, and I don’t see how to do it.

Thank you for your patience! I am new to Formative–I started using it in September–and I am one of the only teachers at my school doing any kind of online, technology-heavy teaching. So I don’t have colleagues to consult with in person.

2 Likes

@csewimbush I’m afraid Claire, but that won’t work: Removing a standard from a question would affect all other student as well.

You’re at the right place here and doing the right thing :slight_smile:. It’s so important to connect with other teachers. It always starts with one person - in your school you’re that one! I’m proud of you! I sometimes wish that my English would be better. However, it’s my 3rd foreign language and I’m able to communicate. So try out new things, ask questions and the community is happy to support, help and encourage.

2 Likes

Hey Michael, I really like this workaround. @csewimbush, this might work well for you for the time being! You can have your students take a formative where the questions are worth zero points (this way, it’s not counted in your tracker). You could then have your students take a formative like the one that Michael shows above and have them just specify the question they want to count as well as the specific answer. Would this work?

1 Like

Thanks, David and Michael! Yes, that will work. Thank you both for the creative thinking.

Claire

2 Likes