How do PBL / Genius Hour work with standard-based learning?

@informed_members @Certified_Educators

@Darcey_teasdale, @mgarcia , and I are continuing the conversation about standards-based learning.
How do PBL / Genius Hour work with standard-based learning?44%20PM

5 Likes

Can we ‘cover’ the standards required in a PBL/Genius Hour setting? Is it okay to let students explore their learning at the risk of not meeting all standards? Is the time to set up and execute a PBL / Genius Hour worth it?

4 Likes

Both of these done well can be rooted in standards easily. When planning, we start with standards. PBL is not fluff…it’s deep learning based in the grade-level standards. When we start with our standards and consider what people in the real world do in an authentic context, it brings those standards to life for our students!

5 Likes

Agreed. Still find some ‘old school’ mentality around this. Need to have an innovative mindset and come up with a solid plan like you mentioned. Remembering and regurgitating standards just not good enough for our students.

3 Likes

You can do whatever you want as long as you reach your teaching/learning objectives. PBL takes so much time and effort to reach its goals. I always like to use online platforms to make my students work on projects with their international peers and I assign them roles and particular tasks to accomplish.

2 Likes

This is what I have been stressing to my students this year!

1 Like