How do you currently give feedback and what challenges do you face?

5efefe360b6d7a2a816ff8f95b02dc84b512c22f_1_690x345

6 Likes

In addition to the regular feedback in class, I have about a 30 minutes conversation with every student where we focus on character (one coaching from holiday to the next holiday)

Teaching Character:
This tool is used to discuss differences and similarities between teachers’ own assessments and student’s assessments. It also highlights changes and progress over time. After a conversation, it is appropriate to set one or two goals. It is important to note that this instrument is not used to compare pupils with each other!

I particularly focus on:

• persistence
  • optimism
  • self-monitoring (school work)
  • self-control (interpersonal)
  • thankfulness
  • social intelligence
  • curiosity
  • enthusiasm
  • (honesty would be nice as well)

I don’t remember were it originally came from, we had translated it from English to German, using this grid for self evaluation (student’s view) and third-party evaluation (the teacher’s view). Then compare the both:

Difficulties: I have to find time (during class) and really have to write down the future aims. So I’ll be able to ask about the progress in the next coaching sessions. If too much time passes by, students don’t remember the things they should be working on.

7 Likes

Great question, @msashlylcot !

Since beginning with Formative, I have adapted the way I typically give feedback and it has enhanced the learner ‘interaction’ with it, as well as sped up the length of time it normally takes.

By removing the names of the learners from the display, I project a particular question that contains red, yellow and orange filtered answers. Then I simply ask the observing learners to justify why someone got a green (maximum points) filter compared to a yellow (mediocre) or red (incorrect) filter.

This scaffolds the learners’ understanding of what type of answer would get the highest marks based on their observations of the projected responses as well as quick hypotheses they come up with. All learners feel confident and secure in their contributions as without the learners’ names being shown everyone has safe anonymity.

The above image is one where I put the names back up while my HoD moderated the marking of my colleagues and me!

8 Likes

Removing the names and sharing their answers is one of my favorite features!!!

3 Likes

These are wonderful things to focus on. I hope to use these to guide my own feedback in the future. Thank you!

2 Likes

I like that feature as well, but I wish I could randomize the responses with hidden names. It’s always obvious who the first and last person are because they are always first and last alphabetically!

7 Likes

That’s a great idea that we are definitely considering :slight_smile: I recorded that you would like it!

2 Likes

Outside of using the feedback feature when appropriate, my students like (and will ask me to use!) the instant scoring feature. Also, I like to show them “overall” class feedback on each question on what % of the class answered correctly, particularly when more than one class is involved and I can click “All” and we can view results (with names hidden) for all students that completed the Formative. It helps them understand and reminds them what I’m looking for when looking over their work and results, and why my answer on a Tuesday to the question “Mrs. Nunk…I will be absent Friday - what will I be missing?” depends heavily upon what the results of what happens in class on Wednesday and Thursday. That is a challenge - my planning is much more day to day according to need, and sometimes students/parents want a much more detailed sequence of assignments.

4 Likes

For me, feedback is more than to say “well done” or something like that. Sure, not only Hattie showed, that Feedback ist a powerful tool to improve students work. Feedback should be instantly given and “face to face” is more powerful than written on a paper/goformative… So why not include a button, to give the students Feedback in a video/ audio file???
For this example, i used google classroom, forallrubrics, camtasia

6 Likes

This is such an interesting challenge to bring up. Have you found that parents receptive to the concept of formative assessment?

You can now hyperlink the feedback you give to students! I think hyperlinking to video/audio feedback would be an awesome supplement to the written feedback that you give!

5 Likes

The main way I’ve used formative is to give immediate feedback with guided questions during reading class. The ability to view their responses without the names is the only way to go, but as lwoodard pointed out they have figured out who is who pretty easily based upon alphabetical order even with the names hidden.

Another feature that I love is having small group discussions with kids recording their audio discussion and then playing it back after I’ve reviewed it to make points. I just wish it would pause and play as it continually plays when the buttons are pushed and a refresh on Chrome is required to stop the audio. If you want to hear a short piece of their recording, you cannot fast forward the audio to the location either. That would be ideal. It is amazing to be able to hear the entire class discussion and not miss out on a single thing as I roam the room and monitor behaviors. We can actually have deep, meaningful discussions (during recording and after playback) and the kids feel their words are more valuable when they are recorded. They are sixth grade, but I know it would work for any level.

7 Likes

However you are giving your students feedback, make sure it is timely. You can’t get any quicker than in the “now” so start your targeted timeline as close to “real-time” as you can make it. Every day after is lost ambition for the students to “grow.”

This is not easy, but it is one of the things I loved about Go Formative from the very beginning. I could use my prior assessments and give feedback in real time.

5 Likes

Currently, I give feedback by word of mouth or on paper. I see a lot of teachers would do paper handouts and feedback written on the handout or the students’ learning plans are not being up to date. The challenges we face is time. We pay our teachers only for 3 hours and we expect an 8-12 hour day from them.

Thanks,
Tiffany

5 Likes

Can sure implement this strategy as an immediate way to give feedback to all my students by viewing others answers without names. What an efficient time-saver! This is great :+1:t2:

4 Likes

@Marisol_Garza It is a huge time saver and I’m glad it will help!

4 Likes

This is one of the reasons I’ve been looking into using Formative. I would always collect students’ papers and because of my delay in correcting them or students’ sporadic attendance, I’d be holding onto students’ papers way longer than I’d like to admit. I hope this semester we’ll see a turnaround in timely feedback.

3 Likes

Love @apeters idea of discussing the “good, bad and ugly”. Super powerful for students to see what a “good” answer looks like vs a mediocre one. I will be sharing with my students tomorrow.

4 Likes

@apeters and @mgarcia, I am going to try the same thing tomorrow as we work on revising thesis statements. Thank you for the ideas!

Claire

3 Likes

This is such a great reason to start using Formative! If students are getting feedback quicker, it becomes more relevant to them. And if they are absent and have access to a computer at home, you can still give them feedback. Way to go Jacqueline! Let us know if we can help you get started :grinning: Our Community Center is a great place to bounce around ideas with other really excellent educators who are frequently using Formative!

2 Likes

I (and students) love the immediate results the get after the do an assignment. I use the data to determine whether a student gets the information or not. I also have them take notes via Powerpoint and I have them go back into their notes and show me the info they wrote regarding the question they got wrong. By doing this, I have a back -up system. If they didn’t write anything down, then I know where they went wrong. If they did write things down but got it wrong then I know where to go to help correct them. I also love that if a majority get it wrong, then maybe it is a question I need to eliminate or re-phrase. I think adding Quizlet may help back up the understanding in a fun but educational way.

3 Likes