How do you get students on board with a new form of gamification or game-based learning that you introduce?

Hello Community! @ebryan @david @Dawn_Frier1 For Formative Game Week, we have been discussing ways to employ game-based learning and/or gamification in the classroom. I have read many wonderful high-tech, low-tech, and no-tech ways of doing so! Thank you to everyone for sharing! While many, myself included, assume that playing games would be something that our students would jump at the chance to do, we all know “those kids” that are just too cool to participate or buy-in to the idea that lessons can be both educational and fun. So…

I thank you in advance for your thoughts and time! Have a great day!!!
#formativechat

5 Likes

It takes time and mistakes. Kids want to see that you are into it, that it’s not just a fad, and it will be a continuous part of instruction. I’ve been wanting to branch out into it and make it a bigger part outside of isolated activities. Class Craft is one way to look. It works by putting students into teams and runs like an adventure with student avatars. Another person to follow is Michael Matera on Twitter. He has lots of knowledge on the topic.

6 Likes

In my own experience, it takes time, and you have to build it up. Let students know that you are trying something new, and that you would like their feedback on ways to improve. If it is “too uncool”, how can you make it “less lame”. If you are thinking about full-blown gamification, it is always helpful to provide a choice for the theme. I was surprised when my middle-schoolers chose “Train a Dragon” a couple of years ago, but that’s what they wanted so I just ran with that for a full year.

5 Likes

I tell them: Today, we‘re going to try out something new. They like that a lot (no routine but a change). After someone time I collect their honest feedback. If I‘m convinced and their not I adapt. If they don‘t like it and I‘m not convinced: leave it! Sometimes my students have great ideas how to improve things :grinning:

5 Likes