How do you keep the feedback cycle on track?

2 Likes

I think that in order to keep the feedback cycle on track, we need to empower students to help us keep it on track. As illustrated by the model below, eliciting evidence of learning is a critical part of the feedback cycle/loop because the data that we gather ultimately informs the changes that we make to improve learning. We can teach students to play a key role in this stage (peer assessing and self assessing) and ensure that we get the very best, actionable data. We can also teach students to set their own learning goals, understand criteria for success, and monitor their progress throughout a learning unit. By doing so, they can better understand the feedback cycle for themselves and hold themselves accountable throughout the process of learning as well.

6 Likes

I regularly ask my student to assess me (relationship, teaching, explanations, support, preparation, etc.). This gives me inside knowledge in what individuals think or whether I have to adapt/change procedures for the whole class. Looking into a mirror isn’t always nice, but healthy :wink:

7 Likes

This is so quotable! I love it :grinning: ! You bring up such a great practice. It can be tough to figure out if the feedback that we are giving (for example) is having an impact and student input can help de-mystify things.

3 Likes

Sometimes if we look at the style of feedback we receive we can get insight into how our feedback is being received. For some students, we are their model of how to ‘do’ feedback. As with everything, the way it comes out of the mouth (or pen) of the deliverer is not always the way it enters the ears (or eyes) of the receiver :thinking: :bulb:

4 Likes

Thank you for pointing this out, @kallgood! It is especially true with teenagers. I’m learning to leave the word “but” out of my feedback; my students hear it and instantly discount whatever I said before the conjunction. I’m always tempted to write things like: “This is a good starting draft, but it needs more specific details.” Instead, I’m training myself to write: “This is a good starting draft. Please revise by adding specific details.” That seems to help the kids avoid fixating on what they did “wrong.”

5 Likes