How has Formative moved your thinking from "traditional" classroom practices to innovative classroom practices?

This is Question 3 of our week-long slow chat titled “Exploring New Heights with Formative”. The goal of this slow chat is to tap into some of the fantastic ways that our @informed_members and @Certified_Educators are employing to improve student learning.

Question 1 on Monday was all about building culture - you can find it here

Tuesday had a lively conversation about a few of our favorite uses of Formative which can be found here

Today, we are on to one of my favorite topics “innovation” … So today’s question is: **

1 Like

I am able to utilize formative for a flipped classroom lesson, where they are guided through questions and discovery at home so that we can further disucss more in class.

2 Likes

While I have never been a “traditional” teacher, I have enjoyed how Formative has helped me further innovate my classroom practices. I use Formative to have students work at their own pace. Today, I had four different levels of practice problems (7th grade math). The formatives were set-up so students received instant results. Once students had completed a level accurately, they moved to the next level without needing assistance from me. I could then work with the students who needed support while my “high-flyers” flew. Another innovative practice Formative allows me to achieve is students taking responsibility for their learning. When formatives are auto-graded, students know what mistakes they’ve made and can fix those mistake before they become permanent. I could probably keep going but I’ll stop for now. I need to analyze some Formative results. :yum:

3 Likes

Never thought of formatives as flipping… always under the impression it had to be video based… have to try that

1 Like

@Laurie_Rigg i have also never considered myself a teacher in the traditional sense always looking for some way better to give a more meaningful and complete experience

1 Like

I have one you can look at @Jason_Jorgensen , I am just not quite sure how to share it…

2 Likes

You can clone it and post the link

2 Likes

Thanks! I was able to post a formative of mine for review!

2 Likes

@Jason_Jorgensen here’s the link to @enapolitano 's formative in case you didn’t see it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It has certainly changed the way I approach teaching. Due to the highly interactive ability of Formative, I am much more easily able to determine student understanding and ability levels. I am also more able to track student understanding of academic standards, which is a huge plus!

2 Likes

Love all the amazing innovations that everyone is sharing here. It really is a game changer. I feel that using formative has not only moved my thinking but also physically moved me. I find myself spending more time with s and truly sitting beside (which is the basis for the word assessment) my students. I have ditched my desk and the use formative has been big part of this.

2 Likes