Improvement ideas for Formative - wish list

Dear community,

I attach some improvement ideas. I’m sure you have some of your own. Please share and post them here! Christmas is coming soon and there are some spaces left on the wish list :wink:

Michael

ba35f25950c8e47b8814d2649bfda0adf97586c8_1_690x258fb6dde41c2c57a71dd6c0180f8f403f17402d832_1_690x380

dca31cfb663b91b4519b1dd808df89fa435922ea_1_690x378

24 Likes

All of these are great.

One feature I would like to see would be a text reader for imported PDF files. For example, I import a Newelsa article into GF and my EL students might need to have it read back to them. This is done within a Google Doc through the Read and Write Add On. Is there some way to add a “read to me” feature in GF?

6 Likes

Oh! Another thing. I would like for my students to have separate tabs or folders on their end for Currently Assigned and Archived/Graded assignments. That way they can login to GoFormative and not have to scroll through the assessments - though I typically give them a link, I still think it would be a nice way for them to have their Formatives organized.

18 Likes

yes!!! Or Folders!!!

6 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! We record every piece! Would you like primarily students to create and organize their own folders or would you like to do this?

1 Like

folders in order to classroom courses would be great:-)

1 Like

To clarify, do you mean that you’d like folders on the student end to appear in a certain order? It sounds like you want them to be in order of “classroom courses”. Can you describe how this ordered (ex: alphabetically)?

1 Like

The students see folders entering goformative , e.g. Classroom course math, english, etc…

In each folder are the goformatives which were posted in that classroom course…

1 Like

Currently you can filter formatives by class by clicking on the tabs! Was there something you’d like in addition to this?

3 Likes

did’nt know that… That’s cool!!! Thank you!!

2 Likes

Yes, I was aware that students could filter by their classes, but I would like a sub-folder, I guess you’d call it, where they could see their Open assignments and Closed Assignments separately. Maybe they’d need a subfolders that say “Open Assignments” and “Archived/Closed Assignments”.

I hope this makes sense.

5 Likes

@cshattuck sorry, I was directly replying to @florianmaechler since he didn’t know about that existing option. I have noted you want sub-folders and would also be curious to see if others would like to primarily control the organization of them or leave it up to students :slight_smile:

2 Likes

unassign vs. close:

Dear @mike, @david and developers of Formative, please rethink the concept about closing or unassigning a Formative:

I assign a test to a class. Everybody is there except student X. After the test lesson I am going to click on close so that student X is (should!) not able to access the test in advance. Then two days later, student X is healthy again. At a time I decide I click on “open” and student X is able to access the test.

open door = door is open; closed door = door is closed! :wink:

The concept at the moment leads to confusion and might enable students to have a sneak peak of a test in advance.

If I have to unassign all the tests, I’ll get a mess in the overview within three years because all the recent answers from former students are in the overview “All”.

I am convinced that my approach would help simplify procedures.

3 Likes

Thanks for bringing up the need to clarify the assign process and what happens on the student end. Currently, if you click on “un-assign”, it makes it so that students are unable to access the formatives from anywhere (from their dashboard, the link, or quick code). You can then re-assign it when you want your students to see the formative again. Does this match what you are looking for in terms of having an opened door and close door respectively? We are definitely working on the wording of things (Ex: “Closed” being confusing) and really appreciate your feedback.

If you are looking to post a link to Google classroom while still having that same control, you can follow the strategy outlined here:

1 Like

@david I’d rather prefer to click on close, knowing the Formative is not accessible (less clicks compared to un-assign: click the Formative -> click on assign -> select one class -> click un-assign, then choose my second class … and my third class)

2 Likes

Gotcha! We can definitely work on making it easier to remove access to the formative entirely!

1 Like

I second the need for typing math characters in answers. Also, is there a way for students to type math character responses?

One more big wish: have an “explain” option to add to multiple choice/multi-select questions, so students have a place (within the same question) to write about their thinking. (I know I can work around this by adding another questions, but the fewer instructions my students have to read, the better responses I get).

5 Likes

1.) a highlighter or pen option for students to highlight, underline, or note important information
2.) a place on each question for students to send the teacher a question about a specific problem - for example, if they keep getting the math problem incorrect I would love for them to be able to comment or ask a question right there instead of possibly forgetting about it before they see me next

6 Likes

Where would you like your students to use the highlighter or pen option (ex: when reading questions)?
Thanks for the feedback!

2 Likes

I really love the icon (exclamation mark) that indicates that my students did a copy paste in a Formative:

7 Likes