Improvement ideas for Formative - wish list

I would want to set the folder system up for them. That way I can refer them to the folder. If they did it themselves it could be really disorganized.

4 Likes

Thanks for additional, we just recorded them!

I agree, I love that too!

Can we make it even better though? It would be cool to click on the “!” and see exactly what was copied and pasted highlighted in their text. @david

4 Likes

I could see how that could be helpful! I’d love to hear if other community members would like to see this as well :slight_smile: Please chime in!

2 Likes

I love the suggestions.

I would add, again, that rotating text should return to GoFormative, allowing us to create diagrams with diagonal text, while also allowing students to label things using diagonal text responses in “show your work.” This site used to have this functionality… and it was arguably the most important feature that kept me from using my network’s Edulastic license.

6 Likes

After working with formative for a few weeks, I have a few things to add to the wishlist:

• I’d like to see students have greater accents to tracking their improvement on standards and topics. It’d be really nice to say “okay, go to your tracking tab and look at standard 8.1.1” and have them reflect on their progress.
  • I’d like to be able to create a topic tag or something like that? Or to see student performance based on the folder that the formative is in. A lot of my standards are really broad, so there’s a bit of nuance lost just looking at the one standard.
  • It’d be nice to have a way for students to interact with text–highlighting text in a text box and getting graded on which parts they highlight or select.
  • I’d like a way to limit students to one response or to close a formative individually.
  • Being able to sort responses based on whether the work has been submitted.

Thanks for everything! I’m loving working with this!

6 Likes

I love the idea of students being ale to see their scores by standard! Many schools are moving toward stands based report cards and my high school will be also in the near future. We already have students tracking test data and the ability to find teacher created stanards based data would be awesome!

4 Likes

This is definitely something we’ve heard in the past and that I think would be awesome!

What if (in the tracker) we showed averages/insight based on the standards, sub-domains, and/or domains that the standards are in?

Thanks, I’ve definitely heard support for this question type in the past!

By default, students can only submit a formative once and it becomes locked. That’s unless you toggle on the “Enable Edits After Final Submission” button. Does that meet your need? If not, can you tell me more about what you’d like to see?

Right now, you can see whether a formative has been submitted because it will have a green check mark next to it on the Totals View. Is this sufficient? Once again, if not, can you tell me more about what you’d like to see?

38%20PM

2 Likes

I think that would work for some sets of standards, but mine doens’t really have those, unfortunately. That’s more of the state’s problem than yours and I can definitely see how this would be somewhat difficult to implement on your end.

I had a few students that were able to restart a formative after submitting even though i had clicked to disable edits after submission. I may have done something a bit wonky, though.

I would like to be able to see the submission status when grading individual questions (like maybe the checkmark next to their name once they’re done?). On something like a quiz or exit ticket, I often put a link to a key or a remediation in a comment, but I don’t want to do it while they’re still working. Flipping back and forth between total page and the question pages is doable, but tedious.

1 Like

PS The response time from your team is stellar. :yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart:

2 Likes

Ah, gotcha. We’ll can consider custom tagging

Weird. It’d be great if you could message us over the site or privately message me if you see this again.

Would that check mark on the Single Question View indicate if the student has submitted the formative or just that particular question that you are looking at?

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Following Up on Post!

A checkmark if they’ve submitted, so I know they’re no longer editing and not going to come back to it for the moment.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, Trina! This is something we are strongly considering and your support helps!

1 Like

I have two items. One is the ability for students to respond back to feedback. There are times I will ask questions or ask for clarification in my feedback. It would be nice if students could respond directly back.

I noticed that I am not able to send the same feedback to multiple students anymore. This was nice to have since some students make the same mistakes.

4 Likes

I love the green check. I noticed yesterday it seems to be popping off and on, so I wasn’t sure if the formative was submitted or not. Is there circumstances that would remove the check?

1 Like

Sorry Crystal. There is circumstance the checkmark should be removed once a student has submitted the formative. We had to temporarily remove the checkmarks as we updated the View Responses page, but have now added them back :slight_smile:

We’ve added this back too!

1 Like

This is a great idea that we’ve definitely thought about in the past :slight_smile: We can definitely consider it!

3 Likes

We use this site often, especially for daily bell ringers/starters at the beginning of class. I set a timer and when it goes off they submit what they’ve completed. Before the updates, when a student submitted I would see their score out of the questions they completed (for example, if they completed 4 of 5 questions and didn’t miss any, they earned a 4/4) but now it’s how many right out of the total. We actually take grades off these so I have to mentally calculate the amount right out of amount attempted now for 110+ kids a day. Could this be a feature that is a toggle on/off? Meaning, a button to alternate for these - the correct # out of the total AND correct # out of attempted. Our whole math team would thank you! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can definitely see the benefit of having the option of switching between the correct # out of the total AND correct # out of attempted! Thanks for the feedback, Lesli!

1 Like