Improvement ideas for Formative - wish list

That’s a very interesting idea, @lara.applegarth!

Hey Lara,

This a great idea! In our old version, you could sort the student responses by score. Would this meet your needs?

3 Likes

@david it might help because then I could see who has no score therefore needs to be scored still, who has lower scores and maybe I need to take a peak at still to see if they modified their answers and I can improve their points.
Sometimes even those with the Short Answer I look through because if I input an answer or a few versions of the answer sometimes students will do a typo or put extra info in so they will be correct without matching exactly the options I provided as correct. It would be helpful to sort who is wrong so I can give them a glance though to see if they really were wrong.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing why this feature would be helpful for you! We record every piece of feedback we get and use it to inform our design and development of new ones!

I learned about GoFormative from my husband, I shared it with fellow math teachers at my school, and the Algebra 1 group is now using GoFormative on a regular basis. The Geometry group is starting to use it, as well.

There are some things that quia does that I would like to see in GoFormative in order to reduce cheating:

1. Be able to schedule an assignment (date and time when it is available, and be able to set different dates and times per class).

2. Have a secret word that the teacher has to give to the class in order to enter the assignment so that everybody starts at the same time, once everybody is logged in, and be able to assign a different secret word to each class.

3. Be able to see one question at a time. I know this would be difficult for a pdf, but maybe we could have a select tool where we can select an area and specify where each question is, and then GoFormative creates a separate question section for each one of our sections. It would be like cutting it into strips of papers, and having those strips randomized. I hope that makes sense.

4. Be able to randomize questions and answers; that way, question #1 for one student would be question #10 for another student. Choice A would be Choice C for another student. For pdfs, be able to randomize the strips and the answer choices if we chose it to be multiple-choice or multiple-selection. When randomized, the strips would have different numbers when they show up to different students.

5. Have the option of not allowing students to see the assignments once they submit them. This is the most important to me, in fact, if there were only one feature I would like to choose, it’s this one. The reason why is because, currently, students are submitting their formatives, checking which answers they got correct, and telling other students what those answers are. I know that a work-around would be creating different assignments for every class, but that would defeat the purpose of having a user-friendly assessment program that makes assessing easier for educators.

Other ideas that are not as crucial to me, but would make assessing easier to me:

1. Have the ability to ask GoFormative to send me notifications whenever a student submitted work after a certain point. Meaning, after I enter grades in my gradebook, I can go to the fomative’s options and tell GoFormative to start sending me notifications if a student submits work. That way, I can get late work and catch it without having the student tell me to check GoFormative. The notification would be something like: “Student John Smith from Period 3 class submitted Quiz on chapter 7 and received a score of 7 out of 10.” That would give me the basic information I need.

2. Be able to give partial credit. For math, this is a big deal. I know it can be done manually, but it would be great to tell the system that, if students choose a certain option (or 2 out of the three possible options), to give them a certain amount of points.

3. Have the ability to have the students type answers in Latex form, or, even better, MathType.
    We were trying to give tests on radicals and exponents, but we had to end up using multiple-choice questions, and some teachers even chose to do paper and pencil exam, because the formatting for the answers was very confusing to the students. Another possibility would be, which would be way too much to ask, is that students be able to write their answers in “Show your work”, and have the system convert it into Latex and grade it automatically (yes, I know I’m dreaming :-)). The latter could be a premium feature.

4. Be able to limit the number of attempts for a particular assignment. Right now, we can only do one or an unlimited number of attempts (quia gives up to 10, I believe, plus unlimited). It would be nice to do something in between, and have the ability to have the system average out the scores, or tell us which were the highest and lowest scores for each student.

5. Be able to upload an image from my computer onto a question, rather than only having the option of providing a url.

6. Also for world languages that quia has, be able to have international keyboards with accent marks and special characters. I have been able to work around this by giving the students the special characters in the questions and then they copy and paste, but having the Spanish keyboard, in my case, would make it faster and much easier for them.

7. Be able to download a pdf that we submitted, in addition to being able to print an assignment.

8. I, too, would like to be able to copy the same question within the questions in a pdf file, and not resulting in copying the entire pdf again, which is not what I need.

9. I, too, would like to be able to assign a formative to a particular student to deal with students who were absent during an assignment.

10. Be able to upload audio for listening exams for world languages, and the students be able to record their answers, and me be able to listen to one student’s answers in a single file (for multiple recordings in the same formative) by clicking on the student’s name when I open the formative. It would also be nice to have the option of listening to all the responses to one problem in a single file, or to each response at a time. Out of those three, my preferred option would be to have all of the student’s responses in one file as that would make it easier to grade; but, it would be nice to have the flexibility of listening to the responses in all those three ways. Although free is better, this could be a premium feature with teachers having the option of trying it out for 30 or 60 days to see if they like it.*

*On that note, I would be tremendously happy if the premium rates decreased, even if it is by half. I know that’s too much to ask, but quia charges $49 a year, which is much more reasonable for a teacher than $180 or $144 a year. Premium would become more attractive and justifiable to teachers, schools and districts if goformative if it were more affordable.

I know it’s not possible to have everything in one place, but it would be great to have as much as possible to so that we can justify paying for the entire school and, hopefully, the entire district, which is what we are hoping to achieve.

Thank you for your consideration.

5 Likes

Woah, thank you so much for this great list of suggestions regarding free features and premium. It’s super useful for to consider and we record every piece of feedback that we hear.

I was wondering if you could tell me a little more about why #2 would be useful for you. It seems that if you were able to schedule a formative for a particular class (#1) then you wouldn’t need to give students a secret word since you could schedule it to open at a certain time (that way everyone in the class would be able to open it at the same time and not sooner).

Have you ever tried using Speakpipe to record audio? You can then embed it into Formative. Check out my webinar here for an example and this example from Certified Educator @Dawn_Frier1 :

Also, we do have a premium Audio question type. I love the three different ways of listening to that audio (that you suggested too)!

While I don’t use the math functions, I am 100% in support of the 2nd-4th ideas. The “not deleting answers when switching questions types” is a BIG one that needs addressed.

THIS IS A HUGE NEED for me as well. I have a lot of students who miss frequently and need to make up work later. It would be great to have a notification, but also to have some kind of alert next to their name in the class.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing your support for assigning to specific students and specifying why it would be helpful for you!

I am not sure what this is in reference too. Can you clarify? :slight_smile:

Not currently. Even if you haven’t specified to return scores, correct answers, or allow edits, it still show up on the student end after they press submit. We need to make it so that the formative doesn’ts how up at all if the teacher hasn’t specified anything.

Thanks! I noticed that you’d like this as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wonder if there is a way to be notified when students submit their assignment. I realize it might be a bit Irritating when students turn things in on-time, but it would be very helpful for late submissions.

If not a notification, how about a time/date stamp when students submit?

1 Like

@yazelj Thanks for the feedback June! I am glad that you agree with @teacher.hine & @Veronica_Bass

This is actually available when you hover over student names

and also

When you export the formative!

1 Like

Hi June @yazelj,

The timestamp is already there: Go to the tracker, choose Totals and then click or hop over the green icon:

2 Likes

Great! I found the time stamp. That’s very helpful. Thank you.

I thought of one more thing I would like:

When we click on the responses for a GoFormative and we can see the totals, we are able to click on a specific student and a specific question to see what their response was, which is great. What I would like, in addition to that, is to also see the correct answer, especially when the students left the answer blank or answered incorrectly. That way I could compare the answers more easily than having to look back at the formative to see what the answer was. I hope that makes sense.

Thank you again.

1 Like

@Veronica_Bass

We just added this feature :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love this thread!!

My improvement ideas are honestly about returning essential “show your work” features from the previous version of GoFormative.

• Rotation of Text
  • Edit Selected Text (size, color, etc.)

The old system allowed quick rotation of text and easy resizing of text, too. This allowed me to do daily practice and assessments using this website with sentence diagramming (which is a lost art form and powerful visual tool for teaching mechanics!). I’ve gone from using GF almost daily to barely a few times a month due to the loss of functionality along these lines.

A year ago, I was giving presentations about GF to my school and to our entire network of schools, and I currently cannot recommend the site given the loss of “show your work” functionality which was essential for a variety of high school tasks.

1 Like

@jude.hollins Thanks for the detailed feedback Jude! We can definitely consider bringing back these two items!

I would love to be able to sort students by scores on individual questions. For example, when you click on a question number to see all students responses, I would like to be able to sort so all of the students with incorrect responses are grouped together, all of the ungraded responses are grouped together, all of the correct answers are grouped together, etc. It would make it much easier to look back over work to see if corrections were made to incorrect responses, or to grade the ones that just responded without having to scroll through and pick out the ones that I am looking for.

8 Likes

What I wanted to do was to be able to upload an audio from my publisher, and I knew I could embed it. I found a way to do it:

I just need to type the website address on
https://www.iframe-generator.com/

and copy and paste the iframe that it generates. It looks like that might work.

1 Like

I’m sorry. I’m not trying to irritate anybody, but the ideas keep on coming. There are other things that I would like to add:

1. When we upload a document to convert it into an interactive formative (which is my favorite feature as it has saved my fellow teachers and I so much time), I would like to be able to copy a question within the questions as opposed to the entire document being copied. Sometimes there are questions where I just want to change the answer or just modify the question, and that would save so much time for it would not be necessary to type the entire question or all of the answers again.

2. It would be great to have the title of the formative appear in the “Assign/Share” and “Responses” windows in addition to the “edit” window. Sometimes I forget on which Formative I’m working, or I’m not sure if I am looking at the right one, so I have to keep clicking back to the “Edit” screen. I know it’s just a matter of convenience, but I think it would be helpful.

3. I mentioned this in a separate discussion: When providing immediate feedback during a live formative, it would be great to have our comments pop up on the students’ screen so that they do not miss the comment, and they be able to reply if they wanted to. It would be like creating a mini-chat; that way, if the teacher is away, or even in the classroom and just monitoring everybody’s work, he/she can tell the students what they are doing wrong and tell them how to fix it or what they need to remember.

4. I, too, would like to be able to schedule a formative so that, when I am going to be absent, I can tell GoFormative when to post the formative, that way, students will not have access to the formative ahead of time, complete it before they come to class, and not have anything to do in class but to disrupt others.

5. And, I know others have said it before, I too would like to be able to print out the formative, and have the option of printing an answer key or not.

Hope these make sense. If you want me to stop, please let me know :slight_smile: I just love GoFormative, and there are just little things here and there that would make it perfect.

Thank you.

6 Likes

Thanks for continuing to give us feedback Veronica! There’s no need to apologize whatsoever as this thread is meant for sharing improvement ideas. We have and will continue to implement features bearing in mind what teachers are saying :slight_smile:

Could you possibly provide a screenshot/mock-up of what this would look like. I am having trouble picturing it.

You can actually see the name of the formative on the browser tab (from any page within a formative). Shout-out to @Certified_Educators for suggesting and voting on this one! Would it still be helpful to see the name of the formative in the “Assign/Share” and “View Responses” pages?

I love your other ideas as well and they are definitely things we are considering!

2 Likes