Intro to SA Formative - 3 ACTS Task

I have been using Formative in my class as warm-ups or exit tickets. I am wanting to try and use it more with my lessons. I created a lesson using Quizizz and Youtube videos introducing Surface Area. I am wanting to get some feedback on it before I give it to my kids.

https://goformative.com/clone/THZLMS

2 Likes

This awesome Meredith! I used to teach 6th grade math and am a big fan of 3-act math tasks! One thing that I always thought was fun was to ask the students to watch the video and then figure out the question they were tasked with answering. I found that since my students were coming up with the questions, they were more engaged in solving it. Anyways, I thought you might like to consider it :slight_smile:

I also think you could consider adding a Show Your Work question between the Act 3 video and Q#4 where students can show how they are finding the exact number of post-it notes needed to cover the cabinet. The rectangular tool would be great for them to draw nets on.

I’d love to hear what other @Math_Educators think too!

1 Like

Thanks for the input. I added the show your work to the formative.

1 Like

@david So glad I was in the group for @Math_Educators! I saw this post and tried out the Formative from @mlschnick. It’s wonderful! I love the Warm-Up with vocabulary words and love the activity. I had to watch the video a couple of times, but it was so exciting to see. If we had this in high school, then my grades would have increased definitely.

I loved it!
Thanks,
Tiffany Lee

2 Likes

I’m going to be attending a conference in which one of the items of the agenda is 3 Acts. Based off your lesson I have an idea of what I should be expecting. I had looked at this earlier and I had an idea of what it would look liked when applied, now I can’t wait for the conference. I want my students to be able to use the 3 Acts Task in their learning.

1 Like

@Mariela_Romero I really like using the 3 Acts when introducing a new concept. My students really get into the activity and love doing them.

1 Like