Iron Chef slow chat. Formative, Edpuzzle and Flipgrid

Hi @informed_members and @Certified_Educators . I’m Danielle Moore. I teach middle school Spanish and Social Studies just outside of Chicago. I am passionate about edtech tools that allow multiple ways for students to be successful. I’ve been using Formative for a few years and I love it for its versatility.

For the Iron Chef activity i used the following ingredients:
Formative as my base. I utilized the embed feature to embed my other ingredients. I used the short answer question types for students to answer questions what they learned from the videos. This is how I will give students feedback on the written part of the lesson. The date from this will drive our writing instruction in future lessons.
Youtube-I selected a video from Youtube for a short review for students. Students answered questions to demonstrate their understanding.
Flipgrid. I wanted to practice speaking and respond to their peers as well. Students had two speaking tasks on Flipgrid one task after each video.
Edpuzzle. This lesson has two video components. The second video came from Edpuzzle. The Edpuzzle video had questions embedded throughout to formatively assess students and give them automatic feedback. I like using Edpuzzle because I can see how many times a student rewinds the video for a question and because i can insert comments as well.

I really love cooking up these types of lessons for my students. I have used similar lessons with the same ingredients before and it always works out wonderfully.

Formative assessment Iron Chef edition https://goformative.com/clone/BNXPDJ
Feedback? Do you cook up lessons like this? What ingredients would you include for your content area? Are you interested in trying this out this year? Let me know!

7 Likes

I think Flipgrid is an awesome tool for language classes. It has students not only practice their speaking skills, but you required them to respond to videos from three of their classmates as well. So students are also working on their listening and writing skills as well. (I’m assuming that you have them respond in Spanish as well. Do you require unique responses so they can’t just copy what someone else typed?)

1 Like

So… I am actually a CEPC and teaching is my second career. I almost always use analogies about food - just about everyone can relate since they eat. : ) I like how you cook up your lessons. This year I am going to try to cook them up using news broadcasts as a format guide. Have you ever watched one of those 30 min and analyzed it from a teacher strategy perspective? They have the market on online engagement. There are no rewards, yet they manage to keep our attention and hook us into staying or coming back three hours later to see something. You post is encouraging to me with the “formative formula” for success:) Thanks for sharing. - Oh and I teach Family & Consumer Science, Culinary & Nutrition - boohaha!

1 Like

I like to cook with music as well. When creating meals I try to provide my guests with subtle choices (Quizlet) and am always grateful to know (Mentimeter) if my guest enjoyed their meal.
Hi @informed_members and @Certified_Educators . My name is Lonnie Myers … Middle school Math Teacher, I have been using Formative for 1 year and my yearly growth was exponential and is continuing to grow just as Formative. I love the ability to embed other tools into Formative to create fun entertaining and engaging learning opportunities that promote feedback, student voice and choice, and differentiated learning opportunities
For my Iron Chef edition I used four ingredients:

Started with Edpuzzle video song to Elicit prior student Knowledge. I often use music to help students retain information and enhance learning.

Quizlet was used for Exploration and Discovery for rational and irrational numbers. When embedding using Quizlet, students have the opportunity to choose any of the five study modes: match, learn, test flashcards and spell.

Focusing on Concept and Skill development. A Youtube video song You are Irrational (Love Song for a #) was added to help students remember definition of irrational numbers.
Students were then asked to Predict rational & irrational numbers without a calculator. Then, with calculator, asked to write the equivalent decimal for each of the numbers from the previous list and asked, “Were your predictions correct?”
Shifting to Concept and Skill Transfer They were asked to compare the two. Then watch a humorous Shmoop video in edpuzzle. My guests have grown to expect some humor, quite often only a titter (one second laugh)

Mentimeter was used to allow students to acknowledge their own progress in meeting the learning goals. Please note mentimeter does not offer embedded codes you’ll need to copy the link into an iframe generator to get a code to embed.

This meal was very special. Most of my meals consist of two/three ingredients. With my newly acquires culinary skills, I’ll be improving on previous recipes and creating mew masterpieces.

Formative Assessment – Iron Chef Edition https://goformative.com/clone/ZCYKGG

Let me know what you’re thoughts. Thank you for being part of such a wonderful learning community

6 Likes

Hey Lonnie! This looks great. I love how the lesson builds and offers a variety of activities. I will be teaching this unit before all my students are assigned their devices for the year, but this would make a great review for students who need to retake the test. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@myersl I am a firm believer in using music to help students remember - I really like your ideas and hope to integrate similar ones into my own Formative work. I want to watch the exponential growth in my students this year. I also like the garden - so watching things grow is especially pleasing.

4 Likes

@myersl Can you tell me more about how you use Mentimeter? I was trying to think of how often this would be something that I’d use. We are an achievement based grading school, and I have something within my student guides for students to assess where they feel they are throughout the unit on the standards. I’m wondering if this would be something good to do as the last question of the formative? But I also don’t want to overdo it.

1 Like