Is there a way to track how long a student takes on a specific question or the entire test?

Is there a way to track how long a student takes on a specific question or the entire test?

1 Like

Hi there,

Formative currently does not have a mechanism in place to track time on a specific question. You could set an open time on the assignment and then see when they submitted it.

2 Likes

The closest you can come at the moment, is go to the response page and click on the student’s name. Assuming that they did the first problem first and the last problem last, you can view the time/date stamps for those two problems and ‘do the math’ yourself.

The only problem with this system is that IF you COMMENT with feedback, it will put THAT time and date stamp instead. So use this to time stamps before you give feedback. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That is very helpful! Thank you! This answer leads to my next question… Once a student starts an assessment, can they close their computer and finish another time? Or do they need to finish the assessment in order to submit it?

1 Like

Sorry for the delay… answers are saved every 10 seconds. Unless you lock/close the assignment, students will be able to start it, leave it, and return to where they left off.

2 Likes

I did not know that my comment would change the time stamp - Thank you for the piece of info.

1 Like

Yep. I discovered that by accident one day. :confused:

I did not know that my comment would change the time stamp

@jbremner @tricia.mintner this is no longer true for new answers. That timestamp will display the last time the student answered, unless it’s an answer that was created prior to when that functionality changed (~a month ago).

3 Likes