K-1 Formative Assistance

As a 5th grade teacher for four years and now a technology coach, I would like to know any tips & tricks you may have for younger students? Also, if you have an example of a way you used it, that would be great!

Thank you!

3 Likes

As the systems are different, I couldn’t really get how old your students are. My 5th graders are around 10 years old. They learn basic skills in the IT lessons, but I still prepared a very basic document about how to sign up GoFormative, how to join class, how to submit etc. using screenshots. (I also had to consider the language barrier as English is not their native language)

My students had to learn the past forms of the verbs. I made a list of them, created short answer questions and wrote the past forms as answers. When I assigned, I selected the option that enables them edit their answers. They had to try again until they get the correct answer. It was a useful practice.

2 Likes

The same age is here for 5th grade @omerkarabacak. Our K-1 is around 5-7 YO.

Thank you for the ideas!

2 Likes

Hey guys, I’m a Kindergarten teacher! While I’ve checked out edtech tools in the past, Formative is the first one I’ve actually given a try. I was definitely hesitant at first because most tools are bit beyond what my students are ready for in terms of both tech skills and writing/reading skills too. In addition, I teach and assess verbally a lot.

That being said, I am really liking the Show Your Work tool for assessing reading comprehension. I’ll do a read-aloud with a story (like the one below) and then have them draw pictures to demonstrate their understanding:

For this particular story, I had my students draw a picture to represent their favorite part of it. They had fun with it and it was great to see all their responses in one place (something that rarely happens in my classroom)! Here’s the formative if you want to check it out: https://goformative.com/clone/AHHHCD

3 Likes

Hey @skendall08, I have used Formative with our KG (5-6) in general categorization tasks on iPads and used heavily the Show your work with various graphical organizers
living

Living vs Non-living
Clone Code: DMDDOW
or
https://goformative.com/clone/DMDDOW

2 Likes

I teach first grade and have been using Formative. I find the easiest way to give students access to the quizzes is to use Seesaw for Schools which is a free app that is a digital portfolio. I created an Activity within Seesaw and made a link in there to Formative. Seesaw is particularly easy for younger students to understand and we were previously using it prior to my discovery of Formative. I hope this helps.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing this formative. I teach first grade and I needed a formative on this standard. I believe I am going to attempt to use the paid feature of “categorize” to have students decide which things are living and non-living because I have so many students who would not be able to spell words on their own.

3 Likes

Thank Niko. I cloned it and will use it on days that my SPED kids are in need of some additional science effort. I will try and adapt the same idea toward Social Studies. Thanks

2 Likes