Looking for ideas for use of question types in math

Hey guys,

I am looking for ideas to utilize my very much under utilized categorize and resequence question types. Specifically if any has any ideas for upper level Algebra class they can share. Thanks so much for your help!

1 Like

Hey Donna, I could imagine using the Categorize question type for having students categorize different things (Exs: types of expressions, equations, functions) by things like value or type.

I could see the Resequence question type being used to assess students on whether they know the steps/procedure for doing something. I could also see it being used to have students rank things from least to greatest. Here’s an example I made for the last use case:

I didn’t teach Algebra so it’s tough for me to come up with additional examples. I would love to hear what other @Math_Educators are doing! By the way, I encourage everyone to use tags like this when create topics/posts so that we can easily connect with educators who teach the same subjects!

1 Like

Could also give various linear equations (different forms if you cover that slope-point, standard, without collected terms, etc) and have them put in order based upon steepness of slope or y-intercept.

Could resequence a series of steps to remove a mistake (ie. put mistaken step last) then add a follow up question to explain why it is a mistake.

Could show a sequence of pattern pictures that are numbered and have them sorted in terms of growth or to sort an equation list to match the order of the pictures or graphs even…

Just a few ideas I had …

:slight_smile:
Dawn
@Math_Educators

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of “Sometimes, Always, Never” I try to do one for each unit. Here is a Geometry Example: Geometry: Always, Sometimes, Never
Clone Code: UUJUYJ
or
https://goformative.com/clone/UUJUYJ

4 Likes

Thank you all so much for these great ideas! I will definitely try to incorporate some of these into my goformative lessons.

1 Like

Well done, @kquinn and thank you for another great idea! It’s amazing how Formative can be used in many different ways, subjects and languages.

1 Like

I love these ideas! I will definitely be using these for a future Formative I create.

1 Like

You could use the resequence category to order polynomials by degree… just a thought! I sometimes have my students sequence the order of how to solve a problem algebraically.

1 Like

This is awesome @kquinn! And so timely and perfect for my topic right now that I am going to use it tomorrow.

2 Likes

Categorizing would be great with conic sections and end behavior of polynomial functions.
You could probably use the resequence for average rate of change. The students could order different functions by their average rate of change on a given interval.

1 Like

I did this with my kiddos, and it was interesting to see the responses and discuss them. Had some Math arguments about some of them! Thanks again!

1 Like