Self-assessment; Challenges and Solutions, April 23rd #formativechat

We had an awesome #formativechat on Monday night, talking about some of the obstacles we might face while encouraging self- assessment. It was another great discussion, so we decided to keep it going here! Looking forward to your ideas and solutionsJBHooPkg

2 Likes

Our school make up is predominantly 80 percent Hispanic. We have a very large ELL program and one of the challenges that I see in my classroom is that some of my students do not like to self assess their learning where other students can see their thoughts.

I typically tie in a self assessment using a varied amount of online resources. Some of my students like the thumbs up, thumbs down, so-so self assessment questions. I typically tag a self-assess on each of my assignments by posting them into Google Classroom.

1 Like

I teach in an International School where most of kids are ELL, we encourage them to reflect in their home language as well. That makes a huge difference as they feel supported by their home as well.

2 Likes

I find that there are two camps, that often are at odds with each other when you ask students to reflect on their work.

1. The rose colored glasses: “I would give myself an A because I worked really hard”
  2. The worst critic: “I would give myself a D because I really did not like …”

What has helped me to overcome both (and is still a work in progress) is teaching students to read/unpack the rubrics and use them to guide their work.

4 Likes

Thank you, as I begin to review my efforts this year. I will revise my rubrics to take that into account.

3 Likes

I completely agree! My geometry PLC group decided to use a standards based grading system this year and I feel that self-assessment is a huge part of this process. I teach Honors Geometry so it was extremely hard at the beginning of the year to get my students to take the self-assessment and reflection seriously and not just give me fluff responses. I agree that having detailed and specific rubrics and performance scales are essential in making this process work. I still get those responses like @mgarcia mentioned, but the majority of my students are actually really taking the time to self-assess and reflect on their learning. I feel like my downfall has been in taking the time to have students do another reflection after we have taken the assessment. I do a great job of having them self-assess and reflect on our rubrics and their learning before the assessment, but I am trying to make a more concerted effort to have them reflect after the fact and describe how their self-assessment actually compared to their score. I think this the key to getting students to have really open and honest self-assessment and reflection responses.

5 Likes