Share some of the positive results/benefits/changes you have experienced because of differentiation!

On Monday, me and @rdene915 led a #formativechat on Twitter about effective differentiation. We’d love to continue the chat here and invite you to share some of the positive results/benefits/changes you have experienced because of differentiation! It’s almost summer and a great time reflect on all the amazing things you’ve done this year!

11%20PM

@informed_members @Certified_Educators

Positive effects of differentiation is having Ss who show their understanding in a different way without being limited by one way. You see the learning and growth without fitting Ss in a small box of learning.

2 Likes

@david. A positive result I have seen with differentiation in my classes with Formative is an increase of confidence in students. I don’t know how to collect that data in a way that fits into an excel spreadsheet, but I see kids more willing to actively participate in discussion. I can give them private comments on their Formatives and suggest that they should share their ideas.

2 Likes

Some of the positives I’ve seen include an increase in student engagement. Students know that every time they attempt a standard, whether on Formative or not, they are progressing towards mastery of it, and also know that they will have multiple opportunities to show their learning in a way that is comfortable and relevant. Students that are ready to forge ahead are not waiting around for others, while students that perhaps did not get it the first time can and will continue until mastery is achieved.

1 Like

This is such a wonderful aspect of differentiation! It’s an opportunity to expand the way that we ourselves think about products of learning in accordance with learning objectives/standards and plan backwards from there.

1 Like

Gives students a chance to shine and show understanding in ways that make sense to them. School becomes viewed more of something for them not something done to them. Just have had some amazing experiences because of increased student engagement and ways to express learning.

3 Likes

This is such a great way to use Formative feedback :slight_smile: I remember priming students to participate in a share-out and it wasn’t always ideal because sometimes a student would feel like they were getting too much attention and that their classmates were watching. I think that what you do here with Formative feedback is a great alternative because it’s discreet and you can more easily reference parts of their work!

3 Likes

It’s awesome to hear that you are engaging students in learning by ensuring that the learning process itself fits their needs. I usually think about student engagement in terms of gearing content towards specific student interests and appreciate you encouraging me to think about it in a new way.

2 Likes