Social Emotional Learning Formative & Gamification

I am doing research on social emotional learning, gender and gamification. I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on these topics in regards to using Formative. For instance, has anyone noticed increased or decreased engagement of males or females using Formative? All thoughts are welcome.

2 Likes

I haven’t noticed anything female vs male as far as using Formative, but I have noticed an increase in participation amongst my strugglers. (Kids who have failed math the majority of their middle school years). I tend to make several smaller formatives versus one large formative. Strugglers like this because they see success more often. I like to set them up so that they build… and so students see lots of ‘green’ before they see some red.

I will be using Formative to gamify my class next year. It will be my first time for gamification, but when I polled some students last year, I was surprised at how hooked kids were to help me get it ready even though they wouldn’t be using it. That alone makes me think that it will be successful this school year. (We start the second week of August. I should be sharing more information after the school year starts.)

2 Likes

This is very exciting. I am doing something similar with my students. If possible, could you collect the gender data to see if you see any difference in engagement and success. I am presenting at a conference in October and I would love to share any extra insights from the formative platform. Thanks for responding.

Could you be more specific for the type of data you want collected? I can probably look up reports from last year’s students versus this year’s students. It may be possible to get data from last year’s grade books (at least for those that were in high school last year): number of missing assignments and grade percentages. I have about 20 students who were actually in MY classes last year, so I can give you a paragraph comparison between last year’s no gamification and this year’s gamification. There are few things skewing the data: time, different teachers, and different curriculum.

As a math teacher, I’m all about the data. :slight_smile: Just let me know what type of data, other tan male/female and I will compile what I have. (I also had some students repeat their 1st semester math class during 2nd semester. The first time was without the tracking sheet and direct instruction, the 2nd time was with a tracking sheet and students had a choice of the order of their learning/review.) Let me know how best to help you.

So glad you want to share. I am not sure of the exact data I am looking for because this is a new idea I am working on. I know the foundation is how does gender play into online / gamified activities and learning. I can tell you that females are usually attracted to the social perspective and males to competition and leader-boards. This highly competitive nature can cause girls to sort of shut down. I am curious what happens in your classroom. Yes - there is always something to skew the data - I am looking for potential connections as I design learning activities for my students.

Cool. Let me know if there’s a pre- and -post survey, questionnaire that you want to use. My students start Aug 8.

1 Like

We start on the 1st. I will see if I can get something to you.

1 Like

I have not noticed a specific gender variation in engagement using formative, though this is completely anecdotal, and probably has to do more with the types of things I embed.
Much like @tricia.mintner mentions, I see an increase in participation amongst the strugglers, because they immediately see the “green” indicator of success which often motivates them to try again when they encounter a “red” (i.e. no waiting for a ton of missed answers to try to correct).

While I do not use formative for gamification per se, I do use it to include game-based learning activities, adding mini-games or Easter eggs within a formative, increasing the fun factor and leading to better engagement within the formative.

2 Likes

Thank you for adding to the conversation. I am continuing to investigate gamification/gamified strategies to engage learners. I present in October, so I am gathering information.

2 Likes