Spelling formatives

Here’s an example of the type of spelling formatives that we have been using at my school: https://goformative.com/clone/ERNXZH

It is also the one I use to get staff into Formative (as mentioned in Formative and PLC's) :slight_smile:.

How are you using Formative for spelling?

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing! I’m so glad to see spelling still getting some attention. For too many schools, spelling is being placed on the back burner and getting lost in the shuffle only to be forgotten.

2 Likes

I have a teacher that I work with that does her Spelling Tests in Formative similar to you. Instead of correcting the word, she gives the students the definition of the word and the students have to spell it correctly. I have also created a template for a basic 25 question (20 words/5 sentence dictation) Spelling Test to auto grade the tests. It saves some of the teachers time considering they have 120 students they teach. It can be found here: https://goformative.com/clone/NDZPUN

7 Likes

I’ve done a similar thing for set vocab :+1:

3 Likes

I have been trying to work with embedding Vocaroo, but their embed code is not an iframe. Speakpipe does work though. Here is a sample Formative to check out:
https://goformative.com/clone/NCCAVA

3 Likes

I have been wanting to use Formative for spelling but am running into the problem of spell check. When students spell a word incorrectly, doesn’t it underline it in red? :thinking:

1 Like

@cshattuck Yes it does:

I advice you to do it like this:

Or have a look at Kelly’s idea on top :point_up_2:. Cheeky student could always do a copy paste thing …

4 Likes

Hi @cshattuck

I’m not sure about Android devices as I work almost exclusively with Apple but in ‘Settings’ I simply get the students to turn off spell check. That way you can still have Formative do the marking for you in order to give immediate feedback.

It’s very quick to do for iPads and Macbooks so I can’t imagine it would be too different with Android.

@michael.lutz - do you know about Android settings?

1 Like

@apeters I’ll have to pass on that one (at the moment we’re using Apple as well - but in a half year we’ll be receiving Chrome books). Can anyone else help?

1 Like

We are working from Asus Chromebooks.

2 Likes

You should be able to turn off spell check in the Chrome settings for any individual device. Here’s an article on how to do that. You can also ask the Google admin at your school to turn it off as shown here. It’d be great to hear if either of these options helps or if we can help you find another solution!

3 Likes

Thank you so much @kallgood, @Jordan_Cambron, and @Dawn_Frier1. I love the formatives you shared and the ideas you have!! I gave you all a shout out on Facebook so be sure to like/share it :slight_smile: @Jordan_Cambron…I especially love the easy grade option you came up with for Spelling tests…I can see that being useful in many different ways!! Great idea!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing. I wondered about using formative for spelling with my grade 3 students. I might give it a try this upcoming month. I like the multiple choice option but would like to try inserting a fill in the blank in paragraph /story form.

4 Likes

Considering how important spell check is to my students when writing, I don’t think I would want it always turned off as I imagine if affects all the apps on the Chromebook.

2 Likes