Standard- Based Learning and Innovation (Slow Chat)

@informed_members @Certified_Educators

@Darcey_teasdale, @mgarcia , and I are continuing the conversation about standards-based learning.
How can stanard-based learning and infusing innovation work hand in hand?

33%20PM

3 Likes

Some people still believe that there is no school like old school. Though we can’t abandon best practice, the infusion of innovation will met standards but also provide students with more engaging and empowering learning opportunities. 21st Century skills are also a ‘new’ standard that needs to be addressed in the classroom as well. A tool like @goformative for example is an innovative game changer that not only helps students met standards but have ownership and voice in their learning.

4 Likes

I couldn’t agree more, Dean! Technological innovations provide us with new ways to engage learners and help them meet standards! From another perspective, I think that we can provide students with a great amount of freedom in how this demonstrate their proficiency. I know that you are a big fan of Innovator Mindset and would love to hear your thoughts about helping students attain an innovator mindset and applying it to working with standards (ex: demonstrating proficiency):

8-Characteristics-of-the-Innovators-Mindset

3 Likes

I am a big fan of the Innovator’s Mindset. I like that not only do we try and move from a fixed (can’t) to a growth mindset (can), but taking it to an innovator’s mindset means to take standards to a new level … creating new and better standards, forming new ideas, and solving wicked problems.

3 Likes

Today’s learners are incredibly motivated when it comes to tecnolohy and apps. Chalk and talk is something behind times and teachers need to implement technolgy in their classroom practices.However, the question is when and how?

2 Likes

My HS math department has opted to do a mastery-based system and we use a continuous grade book (grades from term 1 count in term 2’s grade calculation for the entire semester.) That means that students can go back and retest on ‘old’ concepts as they feel ready. This has been especially helpful in Algebra 1, where most students do not have a firm foundation on which to build their algebra learning. (Only about 1 in 3 was truly prepared for Algebra 1.)

I find that my students are creative, but they are not innovative due to the lack of confidence in mathematics. Therefore, I chose to try something new this semester. I took our Algebra 1 learning targets and broke them down into several mini-concepts. I also categorized the mini-concepts into six strands, where the mini-concepts built within the strand. Tests for each learning target were embedded into the strand so students would know when they were actually ready to test. Students had a tracking sheet with all the strands, mini-concepts and tests. They were able to highlight them (or scribble them out) as they earned 70% or better. Students also were given choice to work in multiple strands at the same time.

I saw more engagement and more initiative from the students. The only flaw I could see was that students were finally getting nice (passing) grades for the first time in a long time… and they were afraid to take tests for fear of losing that nice grade. While starting out with awesome momentum, students started slowing down their learning and didn’t master as many concepts by the end of the semester as I would have hoped. Therefore, I am revamping my system this summer with the hopes of gamifying my class next year.

I have read all of @mgarcia’s posts on her gamification experiences and I can see a ‘light’ at the end of the tunnel. I can’t wait to try out the leaderboard with badges idea. Each mini-concept is a GoFornative assignment… which will convert into daily XP. Students will earn badges as they master learning targets. I’m trying to find a way to use the tachometers for inter-class competitions, but I will have to use averages instead of cumulative points because my classes vary in size. I’m wondering if there is a way to add more colors on the meter to correspond to Bosses that the classes will try to beat. I think the side-quests will allow for more student innovation… especially if students create items that can be used by their struggling classmates.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

From what I’ve seen, there are only three sections allowed on the gauge chart. You can change their colors to whatever you like, but you cannot change the “three-level” set up. Perhaps each boss could have its own chart with its three colors?

3 Likes

Cool, thanks! I like the idea of each boss having it’s own chart.

2 Likes