Summer Reading List

@informed_members @Certified_Educators
What books are on your list for reading this summer? I’ve already got What School Could Be and am looking for some other ideas on what to check out. What are you most excited to read this summer?

In the past, I’ve checked out Dave Burgess’ books,
Grading from the Inside Out (Schimmer)
On Your Mark: Challenging the Conventions of Grading and Reporting(Guskey)
Most Likely to Succeed
Deliberate Optimism

6 Likes

@Darcey_Teasdale great question, I have read almost all of the DBC books, except for most recent 3 or 4.
I have What School Could Be and will be in a book study with that one… I just finished reading Professionally Driven by Jarod Bormann, a really great book about PD and how it should be. Now reading Be the One, Eduprotocol and the Principled Principal.
Other books are Future Driven, Path to Serendipity, Have an order in for Mathematical Mindsets, End of Average, Shake up learning, and a few others

I recommend teach like a pirate, lead like a pirate, Culturize, Wild Card, Courageous Edventures and Learning Transformed,

2 Likes

Thanks for all the great ideas @rdene915!

2 Likes

@informed_members @Certified_Educators You are welcome @Darcey_Teasdale ! I also wanted to add that you should check out the bookcamppd.com website by Meredith Johnson, there is also a weekly chat and a summer book talk on #bookcamppd
There are lists of recommended books there and you can also recommend books. Meredith has created a really awesome website!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing @rdene915 - I’ll have to check it out!

1 Like

One book on my reading list is “Embedded Formative Assessment” by Dylan Wiliam. I’ve seen presentations he’s done in the past and his view that formative assessment is a process that takes the active participation of all parties (teachers, students, peers…) really resonates with me. Check it out!

17-am-174km36

3 Likes

I loved The Flexible ELA Classroom, Innovators Mindset and Poor Students, Rich Teaching. Am reading Be The One and have Mindset Mathematics and Lost at School up next.

3 Likes

Hi, @Darcey_Teasdale!

I like your books. Who is Dave Burgess? That’s a new name to me. Also, I need to check out the Guskey title. Thanks for the idea.

I’m starting at a lovely little Catholic high school in the fall–my first time teaching outside a public school division. Can anyone recommend books to help me make the switch? I have been warned that switching schools can be stressful.

Here’s my list:

The Experiential Educator: Practices and Principles of Experiential Learning (Kolb and Kolb)

Grading Smarter Not Harder: Assessment Strategies that Motivate Kids and Help Them Learn (Dueck)

The Courage to Teach: Exploring the Inner Landscape of a Teacher’s Life (Palmer)

Thanks for posting this topic, Darcy! I :heart_eyes: book swapping!

3 Likes

@rochonl, I found Lost at School helpful (and saddening). I try to keep “Plan B” in mind when I work with struggling kids. Will you share what you think of the book when you finish?

What’s The Flexible ELA Classroom? Great title.

2 Likes

Dave Burgess has a few well known books, the biggest one probably being Teach Like a Pirate - he gives some great ideas on how to build an engaged culture in your classroom. You can check out his website and other resources at: Dave Burgess

I teach in a Lutheran settling, which is a little different than a Catholic one, but a book that might be helpful is Love and Logic - It was required reading for me before I started teaching at my school (It is the basis for some of our disciple plans) Depending on how your school does discipline (ours is very different from the public school systems that I experienced during my teacher training!) This might be a helpful one.

3 Likes

@rochonl Our entire school (infant - 8th grade) read Lost at School last summer. I hope you enjoy it! It had many of our teachers and leaders re-thinking how to address and set-up to address different challenges for students.

2 Likes

Thank you, Darcey! I will read Love and Logic as a beginning.

3 Likes

I am reading Gladwell’s David and Goliath (Love it!)
BTW, went to a workshop run by Guskey–totally changed the way I teach! Also, you might consider “Rethinking Homework” if you like title by Guskey.
I plan on reading Disruptive Thinking by Kyleen Beers and a few more to be named later.

4 Likes

It’s a great book about differentiating, choice boards, flexible grouping and PBL. I originally started reading it for the PBL aspect but got so much more out of it. She, Amber Chandler, has another one I plan to read soon-The Flexible SEL Classroom.

3 Likes

A couple other books I checked out last summer that were good:
-Teach like Finland
-Creative Schools

1 Like

I don’t like reading in the summer, but my mood changed I will like to read:

1. Far from the maddening crowd by Thomas Hardy and some other victorian fiction
1 Like

Assessment is always a hot topic. Nice read!

1 Like

I have found that sometimes a good audiobook can be a great way to break up long drives and other tedium in the summer. Most libraries offer titles through Overdrive for free.

1 Like