Upload from Google Drive

Hey everyone, quick question…I am trying to find a way to upload and transform from Google Drive. Is this possible?

2 Likes

Hey Marco!

I asked the same question in the live chat on Formative the other day. There is not a way to upload a document from your Google Drive just yet. One thing I do is just save the document as a Doc or PDF, then I upload and transform from there. You can always reach out to the chat too, they are super helpful, and they tally the requests from users in a product board that they share with the developers. I hope this helps :grin:

Sarah

7 Likes

Thanks so much Sarah! I was able to upload and transform my document with your help :smile: I also contacted the customer service chat, left a message, and already got a response that my message is being shared with the development team! Awesome!! Thanks again Sarah!!!

Marco

4 Likes

I know a while back Formative was working on Drive integration. That was a year or more ago. I tried it then and it was not working well. I’m guessing they dropped it and may bring it back at some point when they can make it work better.

2 Likes

We really appreciate the feedback and heighten the priority based on every request we have for a feature! Google Drive integration is something that we are definitely planning on developing. Thanks for suggesting that workaround @Sarah_Barry !

7 Likes

@JenRoberts Google Drive and One Drive would be cool. In our school we are using both actually. We are still trying to decide on one, but as both being free in educational institutions, One Drive integration shouldn’t be left behind.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for this update @goformativeadmin! I’m happy to help :wink:

1 Like

@lumos.nicole It would be great if Formative was integrated with Drive. If you have Drive downloaded to your computer, you could always upload that way. That is how I upload directly from my Drive to Formative.

4 Likes

That’s an awesome workaround Jordan!

3 Likes

We are using google classroom and a direct tie to google drive would help things be more seamless. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I could definitely see this speeding things up! I just recorded your feedback! Thanks!

1 Like

If you take a look at how Quizizz or EdPuzzle can integrate with Google Classroom, that is how it would be cool to do it. Can “assign” a Formative right into the Google Classroom stream - Would be an awesome feature. Can already sync with the Classroom for rosters so just the next step on the journey.

:slight_smile:
Dawn

5 Likes

If you’ve imported a class from Google Classroom , in the assign panel, you can select that class and then hit the “Post To Google Classroom” toggle, followed by “Assign” and it will post the link to the formative in the Google Classroom stream for that class:

Is this this what you are looking for? are there ways we can improve upon this?

4 Likes

I have had a little trouble with the link working.

Is there a way that the grade on the formative would follow over to the assignment in google classroom?

2 Likes

What @david said. This is how teacher’s I work with post to Google Classroom as well.

2 Likes

I also wish it was possible for students already in a Google Classroom to directly import into Go Formative without having to use a link to join. Also, have had issues with students signing up/in with their school email addresses instead of clicking Sign In With Google. These students are able to join the class, but do not integrate back with Google Classroom. I wish Formative with be able to auto recognized both ways as Google accounts to prevent this.

3 Likes

Currently this is not a feature, but I can see this being super useful! What part of Google Classroom would you want it sent back to? Also, sorry to hear that you’ve had trouble with the link. If you spot this again, it’d be great if you can message us over the site so we can take a look at this with you.

From the Classes page, you can import you classes from Google Classroom. This makes it so you don’t have to give them a link to join a class. Also, if you do this before you introduce your students to Formative, this will might help prevent them from setting up accounts in advance.

I don’t think there is much we can do to recognize that a student has a google classroom account in advance of them creating any account. That being said, if a teacher does use the import from Google Classroom button and it’s trying to pull email that already exists in our system, we may be able to get the student to confirm that they are in fact linked to Google Classroom as well and sync the two accounts. Would this meet your needs?

2 Likes

Please take note. If your students have been given the capability to create their own classes, they will not import into your class through Google Classroom. This has been a source of frustration for me for about a year now. If this is the case, you will have to give them a link to join your classes.

@Jordan_Cambron…that is a fantastic suggestion. Sorry that I am getting back to you so late. I have put Drive on my computer, and now I can! Thanks so much for the workaround!!

3 Likes