Using White Board option

Hello, everyone. For the White Board option (under content), how has anyone used it for a formative? I’m trying to wrap my head around how to used it. Thank you and have a good day.

2 Likes

Hey Lisa one way that I use the White Board in my math classroom is to show students an example of a math problem before they attempt one on their own. I don’t do it all the time, but it’s a nice visual aid for some of my students:

7 Likes

Hey Lisa! Great to connect with a fellow English teacher on here. I occasionally use the whiteboard as part of a reading comprehension warmup.

I will prepare a short story in advance and start by writing the first couple descriptive sentences on the “whiteboard”. Students will then start to draw what they envision. As they start to draw, I will write a couple more sentences and when students are ready, they can refresh the page to see the new sentences I added and continue to draw.

My students find this activity engaging because they are eager to see where the story goes. It’s also nice because they can move on once they are ready (by refreshing the page). The only draw back is that if a student is very far behind, they will refresh the page and may see that I’ve added much more to the story.

Sometimes I’ll switch things up and draw a sequence of visuals/upload images that they can write a short story from.

4 Likes

Thank you. I love this feature and I’ll share with my math counterparts.

This is cool. I did not realize I could update it while they were taking the formative. Mind blowing! Thanks for the tip. I’ll be trying this.

5 Likes

Hey, Lisa. In addition to math, I have also used it so that students could circle the states affected by the Dust Bowl on a map and to show their understanding of vocabulary through drawing.

3 Likes

@Lisa_Scumpieru I have found if you need the students to look at a graph (data, bar grah, etc) that you are uploading as a jpeg, it shows up much better to put it before the actual question on a whiteboard, and then put the question stating “using the bar graph above…”. Before I had tried to include the graph within the question and they were too tiny for the students to see, even with the zoom, as they were blurred.

4 Likes

When you included the graph within the question, where did you put it? did you upload the graph to the background of a Show Your Work canvas or drag it into the question text? I am happy you found the Whiteboard to be a good solution!

1 Like

@david I was uploading it as the background in a Show Your Work question, and no matter how I tried to resize, the students couldn’t clearly see what they needed to. Since reading from it was the important part and they didn’t need to “work” on it anyway, I didn’t need it in a block there they could write on it and got lucky by trying out the Whiteboard.

3 Likes

Got it! If you still have the image, I’d love to upload it to a Show Your Work question to see why it’s giving you the blurry effect!

1 Like

@david - When my school met virtually with Tucker, this is what one of my math teachers was saying as well. He was saying that any PDF he uses is blurry when he brings it into the Show Your Work where students could write on it. I believe he actually showed it during the recording.

1 Like

Currently you can only upload an image file like a .png and .jpeg to a Show Your Work question and the only place you can upload a PDF is using the “Enhance a PDF/Doc” feature. I am following up with you to see if we can get in contact with the teacher.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: We Moved This Post

Wow, I hadn’t discovered the whiteboard option - I look forward to using this next week with my biology students as we study the function of enzymes!

3 Likes

It’s really cool! I can either type color-coded notes, upload picture and have students label it, or start a diagram and have students finish it. I haven’t tried it since it came out, but apparently you can ‘live stream’ your whiteboard. You can start it off and then edit it, say on your Smart or Active board, while students watch you or their Formative page. :slight_smile: Have fun!

2 Likes