What are some best practices that you have for using Formative to start your school year off right?

Now that we have started back to school and had some time to reflect about our beginning of the year practices, let’s kick off a slow chat on how we use Formative during that time! Sharing our ideas will hopefully inspire others and allow us to build each other up.

Q1: What are some best practices that you have for using Formative to start your school year off right?

@new_members @informed_members @Certified_Educators @jdunn @chase.kirkpatrick

4 Likes

@albertbryant I have the students fill out a “getting to know you” type formative. I like it because not only do I get to know my students, I can assess where their writing skills are without the students knowing that is what I am doing. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s great! What do you do about login? Do you import from Google or give them a code?

2 Likes

I use the direct link. I work for a virtual program so we don’t have Google classroom because we have our own thing. The direct link is the easiest way to get my students on formative.

2 Likes

I start the school year on week one with students rating their participation in class using a formative that we re-use throughout the year to self evaluate. The formative has a rubric that the can select a,b,c, d using multiple choice and the pdf transformation feature, and it has some short answer questions.

4 Likes

This is good insight for non-Google schools! It might also be safer for students so they don’t get into the wrong classes. I have a bad habit of leaving my code on the board and then students from the wrong class enter it. :frowning:

3 Likes

Wow cool! You get started building routines of self-regulation from the very beginning! That’s a good idea. Would you mind sharing your formative here (or a simple version of it) so that others can see how you start that self-evaluation? @lpereira

1 Like

This sounds awesome!!! Would you care to share?

1 Like

https://goformative.com/clone/EMCMLC
This is pretty specific to my class because we have a speaking ticket system and I teach French and Spanish. I do think the logic of the rubric and format is applicable. You could make your own rubric and upload an image to transform it by adding the multiple choice options.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. This idea is really cool! I had not thought about using Formative like this. I also like that you asked some open ended questions letting students have a voice. Very cool. I feel like this type of use-case could be a pathway to move away from the 100 point grading scale. @lpereira

4 Likes

I use it weekly and I think it is really nice for them to be able to pay attention to their presence and actions in class that often. They are much more aware of how using class time wisely and “being present” has a positive impact on their experience and ability to master new material.

4 Likes

GoFormative is great for formative assessment period. The best practice is to have a conversation with students about what formative assessment is and how important it is to learn from mistakes. Talking about growth mindset would not hurt either. Afterward, allow for students to take and retake the formative assessments until they feel confident in the material.

2 Likes

I created classes in Formative and had the students sign in. They are very comfortable signing in and going right to work. Some of them already had used Formative in the middle school. In level II Italian and Spanish I created a dialog between 2 students in which they had to use “Expressions to understand each other better” (like “can you repeat, please?” etc.), which I have as a set on Quizlet, so they can refer to that. This will help them as they are preparing for an interpersonal communication assessment.
In level 1 I just have my voice giving dictations, spelling out words for them to write out, and also I used an Italian calendar from the internet for them to practice writing and saying dates. Being able to use authentic sources from the internet is great, as the calendar comes with all the saints’ names for each day, which is a cultural point to discuss while they are learning structure.
I am thinking of using GoFormative like a poll, for students to get to know each other in the language and for us to share as a class. So much good stuff!!!
In October I am presenting at a conference and I will tell everybody about Formative. :hugs:

3 Likes

This is a great idea to begin these conversations at the beginning of the year! Thanks for sharing the idea. Sometimes I think we (meaning me) forget to stress that important aspect of assessment.

2 Likes

@djohnson Good luck sharing formative! I’d be curious about the results of your poll formative for getting to know each other in the language. If it works out the way you hope it to! Sometimes I’m surprised by my results. I have activities that I put together that I think will work well, then they bomb. Other times I hap-hazardly throw something together and it works great… If you decide to create one of those, would you mind to share it so we can see how you use it?

1 Like

@WorldLanguages_Eds check it out! These are some great strategies for using Formative to teach language!

Congrats! Feel free to request some stickers for your event by filling out the form at the bottom of this page and we’d love to send them along :slight_smile: Thanks for spreading the word :raised_hands:

1 Like

Try to have some fun and get to know them with the first one while having them use a few of the Formative features (show work, audio, short answer, annotate an image) https://goformative.com/clone/ULTZOZ I usually go through the first one together and find that students catch on quickly and find Formative very user friendly.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! @d.vendramin

2 Likes

This sounds awesome - what a great way to start the year helping students reflect on their own strengths and areas they need to work on in their learning for the year.

1 Like