What are some ways that students can engage more actively in learning?

Hey @new_members @informed_members @Certified_Educators !

Yesterday, @david.lockett guest hosted our weekly #formativechat on Twitter! We talked about different ways to help students become more active learners and wanted to continue the conversation in our community! We’d love to hear your thoughts on the following question:

19%20AM

3 Likes

The more choice students have, the more invested they are in their learning.

This could look like you giving them a choice in how they want to show their learning/understanding. (Making a video, a poster, a google slides, writing a formal paper, creating an advertisement, writing a journal entry, creating/performing a song, creating a comic, etc.)

I’ve also done expert groups were students get to choose a topic of interest and present to the class what they learned (I help guide them in defining their essential questions). For example: Greek Mythology, Greek city-states: Athens vs. Sparta, Persian Wars, etc.

3 Likes

or - maybe using something different to interact with each other’s opinions - such as Flipgrid or maybe a Padlet - like adding a comment another student has made.

3 Likes

I teach 6th grade math and I find many students respond well to immediate feedback in on-line formative assessments like Khan Academy, Google Forms, and of course Formative, and become more engaged in their learning. They want to know why they get something wrong and they want to improve their on-line scores, like a game. If they have the opportunity to redo something to improve their score, they’ll take the time to learn the content/skill. I love when students approach me saying I tried this assignment, but I didn’t understand it. And I like it even better when they tell me they looked up videos and figured it out on their own!

2 Likes

I totally agree and love all the examples that you share. Here’s a few more I found in this great toolkit from fellow Certified Educator @alison :slightly_smiling_face:

I love this idea :slight_smile: It’s great that you are giving students the opportunity to teach and better understand the full process of learning.

2 Likes

Encouraging students to collaborate is definitely a big part of encouraging active learning. Here’s a few more ideas from Todd Finley (one of my favorite educators to follow on Twitter):

3 Likes

It’s so great to hear that you are using the immediate feedback to encourage this pro-active approach to learning. I think that when students know they can try again and see their gradual progress, it really helps foster a growth mindset.

Students become more actively engaged in their learning when it becomes a game in some way. I have done Tic-Tac-Toe hyperdocs, game boards, and digital breakouts with total engagement. They become more engaged with global lessons that apply to their world. @Flipgrid has #gridpals that would help with the global engagement with a time difference. Blogging also gets students connecting and engaged as well. They become engaged when they have choice and voice in their assignments. @pflynn made me think of the blind formative and how that engages a student. The formative is material the students don’t know. After they take the formative, they get to find out more and discover the material once their curiosity is peaked!

3 Likes

If anyone is looking for an awesome example of blind formatives, check out Lisa’s webinar here. You can jump to 8:44 to watch her explain it.

1 Like

I think using a tool like @goformative is a great start. Students get instant feedback and learning is the focus not a grade so it becomes a process not a one and done. I use Minecraft to have students build their learning and collaborate in an environment that is naturally engaging for them. I also try to use real life examples like three act math plays to get them thinking. As a teacher we should also model what an engaged learner is and be lead learners. Main thing is to build relationships and foster a growth mindset in your classroom.

1 Like

I love using EdPuzzle and having my students complete assignments from a choice board. It really helps them connect with what they are learning and the choice boards are great for personalized paths of learning.

1 Like

I really like the idea of being a “lead learner” for students. I found that in my experience, if I conveyed my genuine interest in content, my students would become curious about it and were more likely to develop an interest as well.

1 Like

I love the idea of choice boards, especially when the choices include a variety of tech and/or non-tech options! These days, there are so many different ways to differentiate the content, process, and product of learning and it’s great that you are making the most of it :raised_hands:

I love the idea of adding to choice into a student day. it should not matter how students show their knoweldge as long as they understand it their own way!

2 Likes

I will talk about my context. My students love to engage in collaborative projects with other schools. This school year we focused on so many projects related to environment,culture and autism. I believe they learn more in such an environment and they tend to be less nervous and more creative and productive. If you are interested in how we do that , you can find more details here: https://www.facebook.com/Mate-Circle-Guelmim-1670642666581386/

2 Likes

Google Forms are such a great tool especially if they are used with other tools and platforms

3 Likes

This is awesome, Aziz! I enjoyed checking out the Facebook page :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your nice words David

1 Like

Choice boards are a good way for students to make decisions about the what of learning. I have developed one forsidequests shared here, and there is a really cool PD activity from K20 learn that can be accessed here

2 Likes

Agreed! Thanks for sharing your “Side Quests” article. I really enjoyed reading it, learning about why you implemented them, and how you overcame the associated hurdles. I took a look at your “Side Quest options” and really like how you are not only giving them more responsibility for the “what” of learning, but also creating options that are aligned with the “Create” category of Bloom’s Taxonomy. You offer a nice variety of fun choices for students to create original products of learning.

@GamificationGBL_Eds and other educators interested in gamification, I recommend you check out Mariana’s resources!

2 Likes