What are ways we can let students lead learning? What's something that you've tried recently or wanted to try?

Hey everyone! As a warm-up for our upcoming #FormativeSummit, event speaker Dean Deaver guest hosted our weekly #formativechat! He facilitated a discussion about student-led learning and educators shared some really great ideas! As always, we’d love to keep the conversation going in our community and here your thougthts on the question below…

@informed_members @Certified_Educators

If you haven’t heard about our upcoming #FormativeSummit…it’s a FREE, virtual, edu conference that we are putting on from Oct.19th-27th where you’ll be able to hear some powerful teaching ideas from inspiring presenters. Learn more and sign up here before it’s too late!

Here is a flipped classroom. Students can investigate vertex form before we take notes in class. This allows them to use vocab and have observations ready for class. https://goformative.com/clone/UGULUK

1 Like

Your formative looks great! I like how you are letting students make observations based on what they graph. I’d never seen flipped assignments be used to prime students for taking notes as a class, but can now totally see the benefit. This sounds like a great way to engage students and encourage them to participate. It reminds me of what @fichtlis does with her blind formatives. She has students take a formative that includes quotes and details from the upcoming chapters they are going to read and encourages them to share predictions!

1 Like

What about using Formative to get feedback from students at the end of the unit about what they want to learn more about that maybe wasn’t explored on a deeper level during the unit? It could be a survey or a reflection form for the unit and teachers could use that to inform the creation of a follow-up mini-unit that gives students some choice and flexibility to learn more about a topic they are inerested in.

2 Likes

I love this idea! I think it not only gives students some say in where the learning is headed, but could also possibly help them make deeper connections between what they’ve learned and what they are about to learn.

1 Like

I have my students reflect almost weekly and after every assessment. I use google forms though b/c I like to pull all forms at the end of the year and sort them by student, so that I can compile each student’s reflections over the year and send it to them as a PDF “going away gift” of their growth.
Can we export answers from formative to excel?

3 Likes

I give my students a task to do at home (watching a clip or prepare a lab station task, sometimes math theory or grammar stuff) and in a formative I ask them to write down questions they have or intersting thoughts others might be interested in. The lessons then starts with this formative. I make sure not to repat the homework in the lesson: It forces the students to prepare thouroughly, otherwise they have „missing information“. They don‘t admit that of course but seeing them be better prepared the next day proves it anyway :smile:

I‘m interested in your survey. How does it look like? I like how you show the progress/improvement to your students!

1 Like

That sounds likea wonderful gift :slight_smile: Yes, you can export your Formative data (including responses) to both Google Sheets and Excel as shown here.

2 Likes

How do you compile the Form data? Sort by email and the copy/paste into another document… or do you have an App or Add-on that you use to do this for you?

1 Like

I go about it the long way…
I copy the responses into one spreadsheet and sort by last name (it is a required field in the form). If I have a bunch, I just included some from the beginning, middle and end. Then I select the student section and save as PDF. Takes was too much time, but I think it is cool.

3 Likes

Thanks @david. I will check out that feature.

1 Like

I bet the kids LOVE it, though. :wink: I, too, spend a lot of time creating things for my students.

1 Like

I am training my students to be independent learners by implementing certain routines, such as 10 minutes reading as a bell work activity. The moment my studdnts enter the class, they grab a story from their group basket and read few pages from the story each one chose before to be his or her story of the month.

2 Likes

that’s great :slight_smile: It’s important to give students choices in their learning! It sounds like you are also helping them develop their interests too, which will help them take greater and greater ownership of their learning over time!