What are your favorite ways to encourage self-assessment?

Last night, Formative Certified Educator @niko guest hosted our weekly #formativechat on Twitter! We talked about ways to encourage students to self assess and thought it would be great to once again continue the conversation in our community! What are your favorite ways to encourage self-assessment? Feel free to reply below and share :slight_smile:

54%20AM
@informed_members @Certified_Educators

1 Like

I recently started using 1 pagers. This allows students to demonstrate their understanding in their own ways.

8 Likes

I occasionally use this chart I created to help students perform self assessment at the end of a lesson. Should a student be an “Expert,” I have them serve as helpers during review sessions with learners who may be struggling with a specific topic. Furthermore, I will sometimes post this in a Formative exit slip or Google Form for students to provide responses.

3 Likes

A1 - My favorite way is to use @goformative as a place to explore concepts and reflect upon them. Ss are becoming more aware of their learning & have more choice in communicating and self assessing. Use goal setting & relationship building to get in.

1 Like

As I was adding my previous post I remembered an emoji exit ticket (got idea from twitter) I used with paper before. I thought this might make a great formative … so I quickly put it together. Easy and fun self assessment. https://goformative.com/clone/FGVBSL :thinking:

4 Likes

Nice job, Al! It’s great to see you are giving your students multiple ways to self-reflect! I could see this activity working well within Formative. You could let your students create this 1 pager by responding to a Show Your Work question (compartmentalizing sections with the line tool, inserting images, text, and drawings)!

I love this chart and your idea to apply it to Formative. I could see this as a multiple choice question and then as a follow up, asking the student to demonstrate their “level” or to share any questions they have that are preventing them from “leveling up”.

My fav ways to encourage self-assessment are through Google Slides where Ss are asked to do self-reflection or their reading, writing, and mastery of skills and show it in several ways. Not just writing. What meme or emoji describes how you felt during your writing?

2 Likes

I frequently ask my students to show with their fingers their degree of understanding. Sometimes I use green (understood) and red (some pending stuff) A5 paper for selfevaluation and as a visual class feedback for me.

3 Likes

Reflection is such a critical skill in the process of self-assessment. I have used the Here is What? Now What? So What? protocol with students and also provide question prompts. I also include the sentence stems publish by the university of Portsmouth to support students in their thinking process. http://bit.ly/2HuafHz

Alison

2 Likes

Great resource. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Great formative! I love the different options the image offers for students to show how they feel!

1 Like

I LOVE one-pagers! Are you an AVID school? This was always my favorite way to wrap up a unit. It really lets students showcase what they know/what they found most interesting in such a fun and creative way. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

I give a mini-reflection question at the end of each formative.

• How did you do on these problems?
  • Describe the steps you used to solve bubble 6.
  • Select all the types of mistakes you made today. (Multiple Select question listing all the types of errors students usually make.)

Many times I have kids say they did great and I ask if they would like to peer tutor. Other times, kids ask for a peer tutor. Lately, kids have been opening up and asking for more practice problems. I can send a link via feedback or email them a document ( usually with answers) so they can try them and ask questions if they are not getting the correct answers.

2 Likes

I love this strategy and that you include some “closed” questions in here. I bet this helps you spot trends in how students thinks they did and the types of mistakes they think they’re making. Do you ever review this data with your individual students or your class? :slight_smile:

1 Like